Change SQL startup account and apps can''t connect to it anymore

• I have enabled AWE on the Enterprise SQL server; I changed startup account from local to domain account (with local administrator permisssion) for SQL server service. SQL is in mix mode. Applications were running fine for years connecting to the SQL box until I changed the SQL service account for the startup. Any suggestion?

Happy New Year!

• Are you able to connect to the SQL Server locally? If so, are there any suspicious entries in either the SQL Server error log or the operating system's Application event log related to not being to listen on the port? Also, when you made the switch to the domain account, did you make sure to modify the Local Security Policy to allow the domain account to lock pages in memory?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Brian,

I can register SQL using my NT account and sa account. There are only messages information below in error log, because I installed MAPI client on SQL server for the email notification. The domain account had been added in Local Security Policy before I change the startup account. Everything else seems to be fine.

Starting SQL Mail session....

Error: 1073759806, Severity: 1, State: 0

SQL Mail session started..

Error: 1073759778, Severity: 1, State: 0

Thanks!

• So the error log says it's able to listen on the TCP port just fine?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Yes.

• How are the applications set up to connect to the database? Some DBAs/programmers/vendors set their applications to use SA account or the local admin account.

-SQLBill

• Only the applications that are using Domain account are having problme connecting to the database. Others are fine using SQL account. I don't know if this caused by changing the startup account for SQL server service.

• No other access was changed? Are there any errors in the operating system's System event log about not being able to connect to a domain controller or anything of that sort?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Sounds silly, but should at least let you ensure it is just the user account change and nothing else...  Change the account back and see if your problems go away.  If so, then look at what rights that account has vs the account you are now using.  Since you say the sql-auth logins work, it is not a local machine folders/files access issue.  Perhaps some of the settings in group policy are causing grief for your new account - for example, not being able to access Active Directory?

• Is the domain account that SQL is using in the same domain as the logins that are attempting to connect to it?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply