Change SQL Instance name and lost permissions

• I created a new server to move our physical database over to a virtual environment. We did not want to P2V the server because we wanted to separate the database files onto newly created LUNS. So here is what I did and what happened.

Installed SQL 2008 R2 onto the new server

Detached the database from the old server

Copied the files to the new server and placed them where I wanted them

Attached the files appropriately and tested the system

Everything seemed good until I finished the next part:

Renamed the OLD server and changed the IP address and rebooted.

Renamed the NEW server to the OLD servers name and gave it the IP that the OLD server had.

Rebooted.

When the server came up, I used the script that I found online to rename the SQLL server instance name (or local name) to have the name of the server and rebooted.

Once everything was accomplished, I was NOT able to see the database. it was telling me that I had no access or the database was bad.

I found an article instructing me that it could be the services that SQL was running under. So I changed these to use the Local System account and the database worked. GREAT, BUT....

things are not right.

Some users do not have access and I have to delete them from the database security , create them in the SQL Security and give them access to the database. This seems to work but many applications that talked to the old server are no longer working. Any ideas where to look?

• did you migrate logins between the servers before you moved the databases? its possible that some or all of the users at the database level have become orphaned from their logins at server level. This is quite a common thing when moving databases between servers

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply