Change Schema Ownership using SSMS

• I have a login which I need to delete for security purposes. The problem is the login owns several objects. I must firstly transfer the schema ownership to the dbo schema.

I need to do this using SSMS and without writing any T-SQL. Can someone explain how to do this please?

Thanks.

• On the general Tab of the Schema Properties (within the actual database) there is a Schema Owner field and a Search button. Search to who you want your Schema to now be owned by then save your changes. Once your schema is migrated to a new owner you can delete the users.

Catherine

Kindest Regards,

Catherine Eibner
    cybner.com.au

• befaore you migrate you might need to check if the schema owner was not used in queries.

e.g. select * from dbo.SomeTable

Everything you can imagine is real.

• I have searched for a new schema owner and selected dbo, then clicked ok. I presume this saves the changes?

I then go to the users section and right click > delete on the old schema owner. I get error 'drop failed for ' as the user owns a schema in the database.

It is so frustrating!! What am I doing wrong?

• Adam,

I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm about fit to be tied. Mine's a DB role that I was stupid enough to give ownership to another role. That's all I did, so i know it doesn't own anything else... but SMS will not let me delete squat.

• Ahh... got it. Opened the wrong window, and didn't notice. I should have opened the actual Schema dialog box and reassigned the ownership. I was opening the dialog box that was associated with the database role, not the database schema.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply