change field length

• Old Sql2008 box and I need to change 4 fields length on a table which contains 18+ million records.

It's going from varchar(10) to varchar(12)

I tried from SSMS but timed out ...

If I do an alter

ALTER TABLE [xxx]

ALTER COLUMN yyy VARCHAR (12) NULL.

I have 8 active connections to the database. Will I lock the table?

sorry I know old version trying to get it upgraded .. didn't know where else to post ..

THanks.

• The simplest way would be to create a new table, insert the data from the original table, rename both tables and run an update to catch any changes made between the insert and the renaming if necessary.

😎

There are many factors to consider and without further details, detailed advice would be pure guesswork.

• There are around 35 fields defined in the table.. 13 non-clustered indexes, and triggers on the table to boot..

I was hoping I could get away with the alter....

Thanks

• Bruin wrote:

There are around 35 fields defined in the table.. 13 non-clustered indexes, and triggers on the table to boot..

I was hoping I could get away with the alter....

Thanks

As I already stated, it is impossible to advise in any more detail without further information.

😎

• What other info can I provide?

thx.

• Bruin wrote:

What other info can I provide?

thx.

Bruin wrote:

What other info can I provide?

thx.

To start with:

1. The DDL (create table) code
    2. Indices details
    3. Usage stats
    4. Code for all triggers
    5. Constraints and foreign key details
    6. Data profile
    7. Storage and partition details

😎

• okay thanks for suggestions... I'll do some benchmarks.

• If you try running the alter table command, check whether it is being blocked. I think alter the table requires a SCH-M lock which may not be possible if the table is in use. Once the lock is obtained the change should be almost immediate as it is a metadata change only, assuming you don't go to varchar(max) or change the null setting of the column . (Someone correct me if I am wrong). I have altered varchar columns in sql server 2008 on much bigger tables and not had any difficulties. Fixed with columns are a different matter. I believe that while you wait for the sch-m lock, subsequent queries will also be blocked.

I'm not sure whether the inclusion of the column in an index complicates things, but if you run sp_whoisactive while the alter table is running you will see whether it's blocked, or actually doing work that is taking a long time.

• Thanks for info...

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply