Change default installation directory for system databases

• Hey all,

Got a question regarding the installation of a new SQL Server instance. Up until now, what I've been doing is, running the installation like normal, then using ALTER DATABASE to move the data and log files for model, tempdb, and msdb to a different folder. I use a folder structure similar to \MSSQL\Data for the data files, and \MSSQL\Log for the log files.

I recently learned that you can alter the installation folder so as to save a few steps. However, it seems as though this installs the *entire* MSSQL folder to that drive, and not just the data and log files.

Is there any way to facilitate this work, or do I have to go with the original option?

• you can specify a different directory for your binaries and database files, and also seperate system databases from user data files, user log files and tempdb files.

there is no benefit to separating data and log files for master. model and msdb.

there should be no need to run alter database statements after an install at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply