change data capture, how to references transaction id to a user id

• In SQL Server 2008. I have tried to enable table change data capture auditing. This create a mirror table for each table I want to audit. The mirror table have 5 columns that the original table does not. One of the new mirror column is __$start_lsn and I can join this to cdc.lsn_time_mapping to get the transaction id. My question is does anyone know to get the user login for a particular transaction id. or LSN?

LSN = 0x0000001B000000340003

transactionid = 0x000000000289

Can I somehow use this information to join some view or system table to get the user id that own the transaction?

Thanks,

Louis.

• Only by using the undocumented log scanning function fn_dblog, and only if the log record you're interested in hasn't been truncated from the log. It's complicated but do-able.

If you want to do auditing, there's an all-actions audited feature coming in 2008. I suggest you use it instead.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Paul,

How do I find out more about this feature? I don't seem to be able to find this in Book online on the July 2008 version. Googling this only talk about the feature a little bit. Is there a link to this? Or is this a new coming feature into newer release of 2008? So does it do everything change data capture do plus refering the user to each audit record?

Thanks,

Louis.

• It'll be in one of the future CTPs of SS2008. See http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/whitepapers/sql_2008_oltp.mspx for more info.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply