Certification Rumors and Tips

• Just want to throw in my two cents. Im in the industry for just under two years now, and I found it most difficult to get my first job. I know I have my pick of many jobs now, but Its the first one that is the toughest. I also learned that even though I have a degree in computers, I knew diddly squat when it came to real work!!! You think when you leave college you know it all, only to find yourself at the bottom of the learning ladder again. All that got me the job was the piece of paper that is my degree. It proved I have the patience and dedication to study and learn. I believe the main role of the certifications is similiar. You can have a candidate that is very knowledgeable and sits quite happily on their knowledge, or you can have a similar job candidate , but with a certificate. The cert proves that the 2nd guy has the drive, patience and dedication to push himself further than the other fellow. Of course its not black and white, and technical interview are required, but the certification definately helps to find people who want to be more than they presently are, people with dedication. And I learned tons from doing the cert that I did not know otherwise so it was an excellent learning opportuinity. I definately would look more favourably at candidates with a certificate, but also use technical interviews to screen out the folks who dont know the stuff, but just have very good memories.

• Oddly enough, my first real SQL DBA job was the toughest to get for me too.  No one wanted to hire me because I didn't have enough SQL Server experience, but as soon as I got hired, the recruiters decided I was legit and started calling me. 

Go figure.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Yup, that's about right. Hence the reason most people recommend you get in with a not-for-profit or something of that sort during the college or job transition years in order to have work experience on the resume.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I was fortunate. I had been doing database development for about a decade in dBase/Foxbase/Wang Pace/DataFlex (don't THOSE bring back memories!) when we bought SQL Server: I think version 4.21a was the first we had. So I sort of came in at the ground floor. I think we'd already transitioned from 3Com servers to Microsoft LanManager.

Since then I have run into the problem of being overqualified and finding positions that are grossly underpaid or people wanting me to be a DBA for Oracle or DB2 systems or a VB programmer. I think the most amusing recruiter approach that I've received was for a DB2 admin position that the recruiter didn't understand was for a mainframe.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Thanks Brandie

nice article! inspired me for the certification. well, I am doing preparation for 70-0229 but was not sure weather I should go for it or not and was not confident even in myself. Although I have knowledge of SQL queries and RDBMS concepts, but don't have enough knowledge of sql server and not any working experience on SQL server. I have used only sql queries with Microsoft Access programming and report generation.

jigisha

• The best thing you can do for yourself, Jigisha, is practice, practice, practice.

There are still a lot of shops which use SQL Server 2000, which might make it worth your while to learn the software. However, if you're going for a cert, I'd recommend going for the 2005 certification. Microsoft is discontinuing support for SQL 2000 5 months from now, so it'll look better for you if you have a 2005 cert. Also, knowing both Server versions will look really good. @=)

Start with the Sybex Press cert books, though. They're golden for a SQL Server beginner.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply