Certification information collection

• greenday5494

SSC Enthusiast

Hey guys,

sorry if this is a dumb question. The MS website is confusing to me. What is a good path for a beginner looking to get certs for SQL Server? Most of the ones im finding are 2012 SQL Server. Isn't that a bit outdated at this point? What certs are available? Where can i find more info?

• Eddie Wuerch

SSChampion

Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/browse-all-certifications.aspx

Under "Filter Role-based certifications by technology or job role", click the 'Technology" box and select 'SQL Server'.

The current certs will be shown.

MTA: Base certification, single test. This is optional.

MCSA: The Certified Solution Associate certifications. Pass one of these as a pre-requisite to earning an MCSE

MCSE: The Certified Solution Expert certification. If you click on the link for MCSE: Data Management and Analytics, you can drill into all of the different tests and certifications necessary.

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• greenday5494

SSC Enthusiast

thank you for your reply.

What is the difference between MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Administration and MCSA: SQL Server 2012/2014?

• Grant Fritchey

SSC Guru

greenday5494 wrote:

thank you for your reply. What is the difference between MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Administration and MCSA: SQL Server 2012/2014?

One is for SQL Server version 2016 and the other is for 2012/2014. There will be different questions based on the changes in technology between versions. The latest, and probably the thing to go for, would be SQL Server 2017. For a few more months anyway. SQL Server 2019 is coming out soon.

----------------------------------------------------
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
    Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
    Author of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd Edition
    Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• greenday5494

SSC Enthusiast

I didnt see 2017 offered. is it available?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply