Certification information collection

• Hey guys,

sorry if this is a dumb question. The MS website is confusing to me. What is a good path for a beginner looking to get certs for SQL Server? Most of the ones im finding are 2012 SQL Server. Isn't that a bit outdated at this point? What certs are available? Where can i find more info?

• Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/browse-all-certifications.aspx

Under "Filter Role-based certifications by technology or job role", click the 'Technology" box and select 'SQL Server'.

The current certs will be shown.

MTA: Base certification, single test. This is optional.

MCSA: The Certified Solution Associate certifications. Pass one of these as a pre-requisite to earning an MCSE

MCSE: The Certified Solution Expert certification. If you click on the link for MCSE: Data Management and Analytics, you can drill into all of the different tests and certifications necessary.

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• thank you for your reply.

What is the difference between MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Administration and MCSA: SQL Server 2012/2014?

• greenday5494 wrote:

thank you for your reply. What is the difference between MCSA: SQL 2016 Database Administration and MCSA: SQL Server 2012/2014?

One is for SQL Server version 2016 and the other is for 2012/2014. There will be different questions based on the changes in technology between versions. The latest, and probably the thing to go for, would be SQL Server 2017. For a few more months anyway. SQL Server 2019 is coming out soon.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I didnt see 2017 offered. is it available?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply