Certification

• Afternoon all,

I looking to renew my certifications for BI to the latest version - MCSE: Business Intelligence Solutions Expert

there are a number of exams required:

Step

1 Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 exam: 461

2 Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases exam: 462

3 Implementing a Data Warehouse with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 exam: 463

After successfully completing steps 1-3, you'll earn a Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): SQL Server 2012 certification.

4 Implementing Data Models and Reports with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 exam: 466

5 Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 exam: 467

just a general question initially - from your experience is it worth me just booking exams 1,2 and 3 straight away as I work with SQL daily and have my MCITP? Is it worth buying the books, or would I just be waisting money? Are there any SQL 2012 gotcha I need to read up on first?

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• Personally, I would always recommend some of the books/kits.

I worked with 2005 on a daily basis prior to taking the exam but I still bought the books and training kits. If anything they helped me to get used to the way the questions were asked if that makes sense. Dont forget, day to day usage might not necessarily agree with MS best practice that they will test for.

'Only he who wanders finds new paths'

• yeah, you make a good point about how they may want a question answered.

Sounds like it's worth doing some reading then.

Thanks.

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• Training kit books are really helpful to me...

Pramod
    SQL Server DBA | MCSE SQL Server 2012/2014

in.linkedin.com/in/pramodsingla/
    http://pramodsingla.wordpress.com/

• Yes I did find that the training kits (either in a book or software) are really good to get a feel for the questions. Most of the books that I have read advise to read up on certain sections in BOL as well.

Whilst I think on. One thing I do often read in the books is that the exams will often ask questions around the new functionality in that particular edition so its good to do extra reading on those parts.

Good luck!!!!

'Only he who wanders finds new paths'

• The books are good to get you started but a word of warning, the example questions supplied with the MS Press books are not even close to the level of dificulty to the actual exams.

I have so far sat and passed the the Administering exam and the T-SQL exams and both were fairly difficult.

Still to sit the Warehouse exam which I am hoping to do in the next few months. I would say they are a significantly more difficult than the SQL 2005 MCITP exams I sat a few years ago.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply