Central Management Servers

• TO easy -- I use a CMS for all my servers - makes life very simple.

Good question though.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• I don't currently use CMS but I might start. Looks like a very handy way to check things across servers. Thanks for making me go look this up Steve!

• --oops, I overlooked the second page of post, sorry

• Nice tricky question, must read it very carefully so not to fall in the trap.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Good one but it was not a question about the CMS but rather if you can read the text carefully 🙂

Kindest Regards,

Damian Widera
    SQL Server MVP,
    MCT, MCSE Data Platform, MCSD.NET

• I was really not sure about the answer and it was hit in the dark. Definitely learned something today. Thanks Steve. 🙂

• Good question.

Given that this limitation is easily evaded, as a couple of comments have pointed out, I agree that it is a drawback as suggested in teh explanation, because it is simply an inconvenience which provides nothing useful. However, if it were properly enforced it might actually be useful - I'm not sure whether it would or not, because I really know pretty well nothing about central Server Management Groups, but I thinnk I can imagine a case where it might be desirable to give people some privileges on the servers in a group but not have those privileges extend to the central server; of course I could be wrong in imagining that.

Tom

• never used it and will probably never use it

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply