CDC Noob questions ?

• Clinical Data Capture.  (OOPS should be Change Data Capture sorry).

Where is the process of the >Clinical Oops<  Change Data Capture executed ?

Can it be executed outside the instance 'machine' ? (So that it only accesses the SAN on which the actual instance is on).

Where is the data stored, can this be outside the instance, in another instance ?

I am new to this process, so I am trying to understand this.

Ben

Altered:

Clinical Data Capture ---   ---  >>> Change Data Capture

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  ben.brugman. Reason: Clinical should be Change
  • Do you mean Clinical Data Capture or Change Data Capture?

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Oops typo.

Change Data Capture. (Sorry 🙁  )

Ben

• Yes I did read that document, but fast, most of the texts I have seen in other documents.

To my knowledge the capture and the datastorage is done on the instance where it is captured.

(But this might be an outdated viewpoint of me).

But I now get the question can this be done outside the instance from where the data is captured.

And I can't find a definite anwser to that question.  (I still think this is not possible, but would like to read a confirmation of that or that the capturing process can be done on another instance / machine).

With the word instance I mean the SQL-server instance.

Thanks for your time and attention,

Ben

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  ben.brugman. Reason: Clarification
  • as far as I can see (and I haven't used CDC since it came in around 2005) it relies on the transaction log and logs into a local table - i'm no expert, but I can't see a way to send it elsewhere on the fly.

to be honest it would be horrific if every change was logged to a remote server - you would be better off using something different than CDC

the general consensus is to grab the change data and use a proc or SSIS or some other ETL to send it somewhere else every few minutes.

MVDBA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply