Caveats of changing SQL Server 7.0 Node Name

• Hello!

I have a question pertaining to the impact on SQL Server 7.0 of changing the Node name of the computer hosting the Server AFTER SQL Server 7.0 has been installed and configured.

Basically when the Operating System was installed the computer node name was set up as 'WWTAGSVR2'. SQL Server 7.0 was then installed and configured with the customer’s databases and custom stored procedures. Testing in our office showed the system to be functioning properly.

After deployment to the customer’s production plant, the SQL Server 7.0 computer was re-named to 'MES2' so that it fit into the customers network scheme.

All ran fine for about three months then the SQL 7.0 Server began to act up.

Basically we see the 'sqlservr.exe' Service going to 100% CPU usage, which drags the computer down into the dirt.

This happens randomly on a couple of the Stored Procedures that at other times run fine. I can't seem to pin this thing down after looking, make that WADING through MS Tech Net for about a full day. I ran an SQLDiag from a command prompt and the only thing I see that stands out is this:

2003-05-21 15:10:31.69 spid1 Server name is 'WWTAGSVR2'.

Apparently the node name is still somehow internally listed as the original OS installation node name.

Now, I have heard "rumors" that SQL Server can get real nasty and upset if you change it's node name.

Any ideas here?

Thank you.

Kevin S.

ks

Edited by - kschorz on 06/16/2003 09:38:59 AM

Edited by - kschorz on 06/16/2003 09:39:20 AM

Kevin S.

• quote:

After deployment to the customer’s production plant, the SQL Server 7.0 computer was re-named to 'MES2' so that it fit into the customers network scheme.

How did you rename your SQL Server? Here is the tips from SQLServerCentral daily update.

Quoted

"Renaming a SQL Server 7.0 Machine

SQL Server 7.0 is the most difficult scenario for renaming your server since you must take an additional step that is an act of faith. After you change the server name and reboot, SQL Server will complain about not being able to start. This is usually where you go and call Microsoft Support or post to a newsgroup. Before you do that though, rerun setup. This is the scary part the first time you do this. The setup InstallShield will tell you that it is going to upgrade your system. This will change the registry entries. After that, reboot one more time then connect to the new server name in Query Analyzer. Run the following command:

sp_dropserver 'old server name'

sp_addserver 'new server name', 'local'

Finally, delete the entry in Enterprise Manager for the old server name and then you’re done."

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply