Caught in Wrong Job ....

• A bit o' history...... I started working with a silly little help desk application in 1998/99 that happened to have a SQL Server backend. The company that I was working for at the time really didn't have a DBA and so, as I gained experience with the database and how it was used by the application, taking backups, updating data (sometimes the whole table when it should have only been one record :)), etc I became pretty good at it. Through that I saw that there were a whole bunch of other SQL boxes on the network and I eventually worked my way into a DBA role (later 1999 / early 2000). I immediately found this site and started becoming active AS TIME PERMITTED with my work and family schedule. I am now a senior DBA and work for a very high end company (this is my second really high-end job) working with multi-terabyte web databases, all SQL Server.

Yes, it sounds like you might have been sold something that wasn't tangible but what an opportunity to make something out of it. If nothing else, you will have gained a ton of experience while you learn there. Take whatever opportunity you can to get your fingers in SQL and go from there. Clustering doesn't start over night. Read white papers on the side (I used to read at least 1 per week). Read questions and research answers for this site. Yes, you will make mistakes but you will grow. Read Books Online, you have no idea how many "DBA's" never do that yet there is a wealth of information in there. Study indexes, the storage and access methods for them. Study as much as you can on the storage engine, read Paul Randal and Kim Tripp blogs. Man, just thinking about all this makes me excited. πŸ™‚ Another great thing is to use some RSS feed collector (I use google Reader) and start subscribing to blogs, technical ones, such as I already mentioned and others which I can list if you are interested and start reading some of the posts. Do a deep dive from that information and start showing growth to the manager.

Opportunities abound for those that really want to grow on this DBMS. The fact that the utilization of SQL Server is increasing and that it is finding its way into major organizations for large scale installations means there is going to be an increasing need for those that KNOW what they are doing.

Hope this helps encourage you.....

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Thanks alot David...my present profile dosn't gives me chance to work SQL rather it is Visua source safe and team foundation server am working on..

but I will definetely work my way out of this and will surely gain more knowledge on sql server.....

once again thanks for cheering me up πŸ™‚

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• Have you considered having a conversation about this with your hiring manager? I think you have a valid concern and work experience is very important in this business.

It would be totally reasonable to discuss this with your someone (in a non-defensive way of course) and get more information. Maybe this situation is temporary. Or maybe it isn't temporary.

The bottom line is you won't know how they truly see your role at this company without discussing your concerns. Then you can make the best decision for you.

• Ahmad Osama (9/22/2008)

work on Team foundation server and VSS....Does these application hav any future

recommend they bin VSS and get Subversion instead πŸ˜‰

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" πŸ˜‰

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply