Catch this!

• Sneaky :Whistling:

Thanks 😀

• crussell-931424 (4/10/2014)

Tricky

+1 🙂 ... Looked for the gotcha and fortunately found it.

• Fun question. Thanks!

• venoym (4/10/2014)

Guess I'll be the first to say that the "twist" was not appropriate. The question was titled and about the TRY...CATCH structure in SQL Server, the string length was a "Gotcha!" in an ISNULL statement.

Who cares about points though?

Well I titled it as such both as a red herring and as a hint that the question had a catch. I did put it in the ISNULL category, so that should have been enough of a hint right? 😉

• Nice one, thanks.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Nevyn (4/10/2014)

venoym (4/10/2014)

Guess I'll be the first to say that the "twist" was not appropriate. The question was titled and about the TRY...CATCH structure in SQL Server, the string length was a "Gotcha!" in an ISNULL statement.

Who cares about points though?

If the knowledge you need to get every question right is obvious by the title, you are actually making questions easier.

My only problem with the question is that although the trick is cool, it also means people can get it right by accident, making the people who made 2 mistakes outperform those who made only one.

That's the only improvement that I would have made to the question. I bet many people got it "right" by being wrong. Umm, I know I did. 😉

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• DrKiller (4/10/2014)

lol.. I got this by accident.. I was assuming a print function won't fail the query and didn't even notice the string is longer than 15 chars.

Same here + 1 😉

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• That's fun. But I'm glad I didn't motice the heading, I might have been careless if I had noticed it and then I would have got it wrong.

Tom

• Hany Helmy (4/12/2014)

DrKiller (4/10/2014)

lol.. I got this by accident.. I was assuming a print function won't fail the query and didn't even notice the string is longer than 15 chars.

Same here + 1 😉

+1

Thanks

• Enjoyed this one. Had a wee chuckle when I saw what you'd done.

Good one !

David

• Sneaky!

Don Simpson

I'm not sure about Heisenberg.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply