Case function is not working in PIVOT

• Hi All,

From the below example, can you guy tell me why my case function is not working as per the script. Pl correct me where i am wrong.

Here, i should use PIVOT function because i want "fldTCN" column values as column name. If the "fldCDate" has value i have keep that otherwise i have to mention "N/A" against the "fldCDate" in which the result is coming as NULL.

IF EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM sys.objects WHERE [name] = 'ACM')

BEGIN

DROP TABLE ACM

END

IF EXISTS(SELECT 1 FROM sys.objects WHERE [name] = 'TCE')

BEGIN

DROP TABLE TCE

END

CREATE TABLE TCE (fldID int PRIMARY KEY, fldTCN varchar(8),fldUName varchar(8))

CREATE TABLE ACM (fldName varchar(8),fldID int FOREIGN KEY REFERENCES TCE(fldID),fldCDate varchar(1010))

INSERT INTO TCE

SELECT 10,'1.1','Sample1' UNION ALL

SELECT 20,'2.2','Sample2' UNION ALL

SELECT 30,'3.3','Sample3' UNION ALL

SELECT 40,'4.4','Sample4' UNION ALL

SELECT 50,'5.5','Sample5'

INSERT INTO ACM

SELECT '1.1',10,'2009-07-07' UNION ALL

SELECT '2.2',20,NULL UNION ALL

SELECT '3.3',30,'2009-07-07' UNION ALL

SELECT '4.4',40,NULL

SELECT Row,fldID,fldUName,[1.1] AS [1.1],[2.2] AS [2.2],[3.3] AS [3.3],[4.4] AS [4.4]

FROM(SELECT DENSE_RANK() OVER(ORDER BY T.fldID) AS Row,

T.fldID,

fldUName,

fldTCN,

CASE WHEN fldCDate IS NULL THEN 'N/A'

ELSE fldCDate END AS CDate

FROM TCE AS T

INNER JOIN ACM AS A

ON (T.fldID = A.fldID)) P

PIVOT

(

MAX(fldTCN)

FOR fldTCN IN ([1.1],[2.2],[3.3],[4.4])

) AS Pvt

Appreciate Your Help!!!

---

• I have no experience with the PIVOT statement, but I did have one question for you. What do you get if you take the case statement out and just pull the fldCDate? Are you getting NULLs?

• you need to make sure you have the right data types coming out of the CASE. Case will try to make its best guess which data type to use, and implicitly conviert the OTHER types to the one it picks, so you want to help it along.

If I had to guess - flcDate is a datetime and 'N/A' is clearly a string, so you might ned up with some issues just because of that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I want my result set should be like below.

RowfldIDfldUName1.12.2 3.3 4.4

110 Sample1 2009-07-07 NULL NULL NULL

220 Sample2 NULL N/A NULL NULL

330 Sample3 NULL NULL 2009-07-07 NULL

440 Sample4NULL NULL NULL N/A

If the fldCDate has value according to the condition it shows the date otherwise 'N/A' should come.

If i change the fldCDate as DATETIME, i am getting the same result[Not getting the expected result].

How can i achieve my expected result.

• Your CASE statement is fine. The problem is in your PIVOT statement. You have PIVOT

(

MAX(fldTCN)

) AS Pvt

This gives you the max of the field that you are pivoting on, where what you want is the max of the date field. I made this simple change and got the results you were looking for. PIVOT

(

MAX(CDate)

) AS Pvt

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply