Career in SQL

• Good day people, let me introduce myself. My name is Bill 43 years old from Montreal Canada. I have a GED diploma and worked many years in the hospitality industry. I had took a SQL course in college but had to abandon for personal reasons.

I am interested in completing the Microsoft SQL server certification. My question to all is will it lead me to a job in SQL? Do I need to learn anything else ? Am I over my head ?

Your input will be valuable to me.

• Hello!

Which certification were you thinking of doing? I'm currently studying for the MCSA and finding some parts overwhelming even with 5+years experience (albeit I started as an apprentice), I can't imagine doing it with no real-world experience/knowledge.

How advanced is your knowledge to date? Have you worked on any related projects since college or would you consider yourself as starting from square 1?

Also, what area are you specifically interested in? DBA, BI, development etc. Someone should be able to give you good advice based on this.

🙂

• Thanks for your reply, I have no hands on experience. I am starting new. I am planning to take MTA and MCSA SQL Server certifications

• As long as you use the certification as a way to learn, it could help you. However, most people won't hire you just by having a certification, you need to prove real knowledge. You'll need a lot of practice, so the first step is to get a Developer Edition for SQL Server and play with things. Try to solve problems from forums and practice the subjects that are going to be tested.

If you just intend to gain the certification with the minimal knowledge, don't even bother, people will be able to notice and you'll be rejected from most jobs.

As Master Yoda said: "Do or do not, there is no try".

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • There is strong demand in the market for people with solid database development and administration skills. However, the IT industry is also plagued by a legacy of poorly written SQL. At least in my observable universe, employers are simply not interested in folks who know a little bit about SQL, unless you want to start at the bottom as an intern. That said, an IT intern may be earning more than what you're making now. Also, an internship is probably the best way to gain experience, if there are more experienced professionals who are willing and able to mentor.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Luis Cazares (2/23/2016)

As long as you use the certification as a way to learn, it could help you. However, most people won't hire you just by having a certification, you need to prove real knowledge. You'll need a lot of practice, so the first step is to get a Developer Edition for SQL Server and play with things. Try to solve problems from forums and practice the subjects that are going to be tested.

If you just intend to gain the certification with the minimal knowledge, don't even bother, people will be able to notice and you'll be rejected from most jobs.

As Master Yoda said: "Do or do not, there is no try".

+1 million. Practice and solving many real world problems on forums will help build your "brand" and give you much of the "experience" that you need. It's a bit tough of a thing to get into but extremely rewarding not only moneywise and as a professional but in the great community that has developed around SQL Server.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply