Capturing task times

• We are trying to get more visibility into what tasks inside a dataflow take the longest, vary by time of day, etc. Event handlers are in place to log start/end of control flow steps of interest.

I noodled with OnVariableChange event handler but it seems to only fire for an executable, which I understand a data flow does not have. Am I correct on this? I have a global variable set for a script component and I know the post execute fires (lovely message box tells me so) but variable change event does not fire (variable is set to raise event).

I'm messing with Logging to SQL and much of the info is not helpful but it seems there are nuggets of value in the pipeline objects.

My question is - am I missing an obvious way to track, for example, how long a sort takes? Is there a way to answer "is this deduping script faster at 1 am run time or 5 am?"

• herladygeekedness (8/2/2012)

We are trying to get more visibility into what tasks inside a dataflow take the longest, vary by time of day, etc. Event handlers are in place to log start/end of control flow steps of interest.

I noodled with OnVariableChange event handler but it seems to only fire for an executable, which I understand a data flow does not have. Am I correct on this? I have a global variable set for a script component and I know the post execute fires (lovely message box tells me so) but variable change event does not fire (variable is set to raise event).

I'm messing with Logging to SQL and much of the info is not helpful but it seems there are nuggets of value in the pipeline objects.

My question is - am I missing an obvious way to track, for example, how long a sort takes? Is there a way to answer "is this deduping script faster at 1 am run time or 5 am?"

I noodled with the Logging enough to get a view set up to extract the info I need. I don't expect to leave logging on all the time but this should be good enough for those times when I need it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply