Capacity planning in Cloud environments

• Hi all,

Now that Cloud computing allows us to add resources very quickly (as did virtualisation), does this make capacity planning less crucial than before?

If not, are there any areas where criticality is the same or even greater, and any good articles on this ?

Thanks,

JB

• I pay more attention to capacity planning for cloud than I do to items which will be deployed internally. I know internally I have a surplus of resources so in the case if I under-specify then I can usually add more resources to that and there is no perceived hit (obviously there is a cost to those resources but mostly the stakeholders are none the wiser). In the cloud though if I under-specify then I need to spend money to resolve - this is a hit to the bottom line of the project and the stakeholders are very much wise to it. If one of the cases for using cloud was cost savings over on-premise then the failure to correctly plan capacity could result in this cost saving not being realised.

• If we are talking about Azure cloud, it has many capacity limitations based on your tier - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/sql-database/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply