Can't see SQL 2005 Databases with SSMS 2008

• Using SSMS 2008, I can connect to a SQL 2005 server and run TSQL queries against my DB, but I can't see ANY databases under Object Explorer...not even my own. Each time I refresh the Databases folder, I get an SQL Server Error 916 (something like, "Server principal 'mylogin' is not able to access the database 'somedb' under the current security context."). However, I have no problem seeing ALL DB's using SSMS 2005, even though I only have permissions to access my own DB.

I should add that this is an MS SQL 2005 DB hosted through my web-host and I'm logging-in using the one and only SQL Login they allow me to have (read, write, and owner in my database only). The database listed in the error message ("somedb") is a DB on their server (I can see it listed with SSMS 2005) but it is not mine so it makes sense that I don't have access to it.

I also have NO problem seeing my database when using VS2008's Server Explorer - Data Conections. I can't see any other DB's, but at least I can see mine and work with it visually in VS.

Other info:

-VS2008 & SSMS2008 are running on Vista Ult x64

-SSMS2005 is running on XP Pro SP3 x86

-Both Vista and XP machine are behind the same physical firewall.

-Disabling Windows Firewall on Vista didn't help.

Any thoughts/advice? :unsure:

• I don't remember exactly

Could it be that the SQL Server login is default to a DB you don't have access to?

Although I think 'master' is open to 'public' role

I am almost sure that you can see ALL Databases listed despite not having permission to others

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Jerry,

Thanks for the input. The default DB for mylogin is mydb....and the same login doesn't have any problems from SSMS 2005...I can see my DB in Object Explorer with SSMS 2005 and all is fine. But with SSMS 2008....we'll, it's like it determines I can't access ONE of the DB's so it prevents me from seeing ANY DB's, including my own.

• Aaron solves it for you!!

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2008/07/07/a-little-management-studio-oops.aspx

CU 3 or SP1 of SQL Server 2008 is the proper solution 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply