Can't Log Into SQL 2005 Express

• I was working along just fine in a newly installed version of SQL 2005 Express this morning. Now, when I attempt to login in to Management Studio and enter the password for the 'sa' account, I get

Unable to connect to (SQL Server name)

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26- Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)(Microsoft SQL Server).

I checked and allow remote connections is enabled. What could have stopped it from working?

Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?

Thanks.

Roger

• Have you tried simply restarting the instance?

Check list here:

http://www.sqlmusings.com/2009/03/11/resolving-a-network-related-or-instance-specific-error-occurred-while-establishing-a-connection-to-sql-server/

Phil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A neutron walks into a bar. "I'd like a beer" he says. The bartender promptly serves up a beer. "How much will that be?" asks the neutron. "For you?" replies the bartender, "no charge."

Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, 'I think I've lost an electron.' The other says 'Are you sure?' The first says, 'Yes, I'm positive... '

Tommy Cooper

• Turns out someone else working on this new server had disabled the SQL Server Browser service. I changed it to start Automatically, started it, and the issue was resolved.

Rog

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply