Cant install SQL Server Management Studio Installation on XP

• Good afternoon,

I've been trying to install SQL Server Management Studio on my laptop with no luck. I am running windows xp professional sp 2. It continues to fail with no clear message as to why. I have sql 2000 tools on this machine. Would that break the install?

I get the message: The setup has encountered an unexpected error in datastore. The action is SetDialogs. The error is: Source File Name: ...\datastorecachexmlschema.cpp

compiler timestamp Fri Jul 29 01:13:50 2005

function name: DataStoreCacheXMLSchema::initScopeRecord

Any thoughts would be great.

Laura

• I've had both 2000 and 2005 client tools on the same XP box before with no issues, so the previous 2000 install shouldn't be messing with you.

The Redneck DBA

• I had the 2005 update advisor on it I thought that might be conflicting...I removed it and it still won't install.

Does anyone have any idea why it wont install? I never had problems like this with 2000.

• I got it. I had to run the SQL server setup on my desktop to get the initial components. It seems to think the only place you can install it is on the server.

• I had the same issue with SQL Server 2005 client install. I ran the SQL Server 2005 software to install SQL Server 2005 on my laptop. It failed did not install the SQL Server 2005. Then I ran the sqlrun_tool.msi again, this time it was successful. Now I have SQL Server Management Studio in my Windows XP OS laptop.

Sadiq

• Found this on Microsoft Forums:

This indicates that some beta components still exist in your machine. At least some registry keys still exist. Check the core setup log file located at %Program Files%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files, whose name should be like SQLSetup0001_%machinename%_Core(Local).log. It will tell your the version of the beta components. Try the following steps sequently to remove those beta components.

1. Uninstall any visible Beta components in Add/Remove Program.

2. Remove all registy keys related to the specific Beta version, which you can get from the core log files. You need to search the whole registry tree with regedit command.

3. Kill any Beta services (including SQL, OLAP, SQLAGENT, SQLBROWSER, ...).

4. Reboot the machine.

• Also make sure that you have no other Beta or CTP versions of SQL 2005 installed on the laptop... That includes the .Net 2.0 framework as well.

• I know it's 7 month since your post Laura but here is what solved the error for me.

Run the CD so that the first part of the install runs. This is the install of the install tools. Cancel the install when you get to choose the components to install. Then you can run the SQLRun_Tools.msi without receiving the error related to the datastorecachexmlshema.cpp file.

For everyone else not getting to this point un-install all things related to SQL Server 2005 in your add/remove programs. Then Start the CD and abort as I just noted then run CD:\SQL Server x86\Tools\Setup\SqlRun_Tools.msi. (adjust path appropriately).

I even formated my HD and reinstalled XP, since it is a new machine, before I came to an article about the SQLRun_tools.msi. I hope this saves others a lot of time and troubles.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply