Can't install sql server 2005:(

• Hello

I'm having great difficulty installing sql server 2005.

It passes all the system configurations and it installs all components except SQL VSS Writer, SQL Server Database Services and Workstation Components.

Error Message:

An installation package for the product Microsoft Server VSS Writer cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlwriter.msi.'

Could someone please help me resolve this problem?

Thank you.

Marjan

• This error could be an isolated issue related to the installation package you have and/or your computer settings.

Can you try installing evrything else except the troublesome component?

Cheers,
    Prithiviraj Kulasingham

http://preethiviraj.blogspot.com/

• Where did you get the installation files from? It may be worth trying to get another copy and install from that. Sounds like one of the files is corrupt.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you for your response. Yes, I can install all other components.

I was able to install everything on my desktop computer using the same cd, so there's nothing wrong with the installation cd.

For some reason, it just keeps giving me the error that I'm missing thew VSS Writer.

Components configured:

MSXML6 - setup finished

SQL Setup Support Files - setup finished

SQL Native Client - setup finished

OWC11 - setup finished

SQL Server Backward-Compatibility Files - Setup finished

SQL Server Books Online - setup finished

SQLXML4 - setup finished

SQL VSS Writer - setup failed

SQL Server Databases Services - setup failed

Workstation Components - setup failed

So, it's very puzzling that the cd works on the desktop but not on my laptop.

• Install without VSS Writer first and try it as a single component again (through update process)

You can figureout the issue.

Also if it is not working, I am pretty sure it is the issue with the component. Not having any visible scratches on the CD does not mean that the files are copied properly.

Cheers,
    Prithiviraj Kulasingham

• Additionally, did you try installing it on another computer? IF you get the same error, you can be sure that it is an issue with the installation files.

Cheers,
    Prithiviraj Kulasingham

• marjanagha (8/17/2008)

So, it's very puzzling that the cd works on the desktop but not on my laptop.

Same OS? Is one perhaps a 32 bit OS and the other a 64?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• They're both 32 bits.

Both Windows XP, both DELL computers.

• Odd.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps the CD is slightly damaged and the one drive is just better at reading through the damage than the other.

Try copying the installation files to the hard drive first, then installing. It may help, provided you have enough space free on the drive.

Gail Shaw

• are both machines on a network?

if so, put the cd into the drive of the machine where installation was successful and share the disk out. The launch setup from the remote share

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Which edition of SQL Server 2005 are you trying to install?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I'm actually not sure what edition it is...

Thank you all for your responses, fortunately, I uninstalled everything, and ran setup again and this time it successfully installed everything.

The problem might have been due to the fact that had sql server express edition installed on my laptop before, although I had uninstalled it, it must not have completely uninstalled, so it was interfering with this installation.

Anyway, thanks so much guys.

Marjan

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply