Can't install SP 2

• Setting: Win 2K, SQL 2K Personal Edition. When I try to install SQL SP2 I get "Setup was unable to verify the state of the server. Verify that the server is able to start and that you provided a valid sa password and restart setup."

Yes, the server can start and the "sa" password is valid (I get the same error when I use Windows Authentication also). Any thoughts as to the source of the problem?

TIA,

Bill

• You are running the SP under an account wit Admin privledges for Win2K right?

• Yes sir. i am the local admin on my machine.

Bill

• Did you find an answer? If not is SQLAgent service also running. I believe it checks that state as well, if not see if there is any trouble with it by trying to start it.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Also verify that short file names are enabled on your server. I had to change my environment variables for the temp directory because the service pack uses the ISQL command line program to query the state of SQL server and it is not capable of accepting a command line argument (file name) wit a space in it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply