can''t find snapshot.cab

• I'm hoping this is an easy question, but I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this crazy thing to work for hours.  I've setup a database server to do snapshop replication of a database.  No filtering, not updatable -- just a straight one-way copy from publisher to subscriber. The distributor is on the same machine as the publisher.

I set the location of the snapshot to be in the "compressed" folder and enabled compression which made the entire path look like this:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\REPLDATA\Compressed\unc

I put a network share on the REPLDATA folder, opened up the security for the share as well as wide open security on the folder.  My full unc to the snapshot file is this:

\\prsvcjtld600\SQL_Replication\Compressed\unc\PRSVCJTLD600_ssi_prod_ssi_prod\20050310031225

I setup the publisher and it creates the file just fine and at the end I have a snapshot.cab sitting in the timestamped folder.  If I recreate the snapshot it updates the folder name to the current timestamp.

The subscriber is located about 5 feet from the publisher and is setup, registered, and pointed at:

\\prsvcjtld600\SQL_Replication\Compressed

When I then start the sync manually it says that it cannot find the snapshot.cab.  Here's the exact error message from the Windows error log:

Could not find the cabinet file 'snapshot.cab' in folder '\\prsvcjtld600\SQL_Replication\Compressed\unc\PRSVCJTLD600_ssi_prod_ssi_prod\20050310031225\'

That path is a hyperlink in the log.  If I click it, it opens to the folder and I see the snapshot.cab file.  I can open, copy, delete, and update, the cab file (i.e. my security rights appear fine and the folder appears correct). 

The publisher is on a domain, the subscriber is not.  However, the network rights are working and the SQL server registrations work both directions just fine (using SQL server authentication).  The subsciber's database is called 'ssi_prod_replica' and is empty except for the default system tables.  I've not given any special rights to this database either

What might be causing my problem?  All help appreciated!

• Some info I left out:

Both machines are running SQL Server 2000 SP3.  The publisher is a WinXP box, the subscriber is Win2000 Server.  I'm using pull replication initiated from the subscriber's Enterprise Manager.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply