Can't connect to an instance of SQL

• Hi, I have a SQL server that has three instances on it. They are all running with the same service account. I can connect to two of them but one of them comes up with the following error: "The target principal name is incorrect. Cannot generate SSPI context. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 0)". Is anyone able to help?

Thanks,

Kris

• Hi,

This is usually a AD\SPN issue which I normally pass onto my Windows Admins.

Are you using KERBEROS for authentication?

TALIB

• Kris-155042 (9/20/2016)

Hi, I have a SQL server that has three instances on it. They are all running with the same service account. I can connect to two of them but one of them comes up with the following error: "The target principal name is incorrect. Cannot generate SSPI context. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 0)". Is anyone able to help?

Hi!

Are you, by any chance, running Win10 and recently had the cumulative update KB3189866 installed?

If yes please have a look at this and add your upvote/comments.

Thanks!

• Hi,

I have not got the update from what I can see. I did pass this on the Windows admins and they have no idea. I believe we are using KERBEROS authentication. This started happening when the service account was changed from local to an actual windows account. It works perfectly on the test server which was originally set with the windows account.

Thanks,

Kris

• Same issue with me.

• Solution found for me and my "special" conditions.

1. The Server hosting SQL Server is a stand alone. NO Active Directory setup. Just a workgroup.

2. For the authentication to work from a client computer connected to the server (NOT the SQL server) the credentials passed to the server are just enough e.g. for mapping a drive one has to create credentials like <ServerName>/<UserName>.

3. For SQL Server authentication this is not enough. For the authentication to work one has to have a local account on the client machine with the EXACT SAME name and password as the one on the Server i.e. the Microsoft Account (created for Win 10 purposes) won't do.

I hope this is of some help to someone.

• Thanks everyone for responding. Just to let you know the issue was SPN on the server. I deleted it rebooted the server reset it. The detailed info is in the link below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/717.service-principal-names-spns-setspn-syntax-setspn-exe.aspx

Thanks,

Kris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply