Can't configure log shipping

• Hi all

Any idea why I might be seeing this error when trying to set up log shipping ?

Cheers

Farren

Save Log Shipping Configuration

- Saving secondary destination configuration [CHI-DB-ICCM].[ework] (Success)

- Saving primary backup setup (Error)

SQL Server Management Studio could not save the configuration of 'SOM-DB-ICCM' as a Primary. (Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio)

------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Error converting data type nvarchar to uniqueidentifier. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 8114)

• could you be more clear.

• Sure.

Erm, all running on 2005, and I go through the whole process of adding the primary, secondary and monitor and then when I have done all that and click OK, I get that error it registers the secondary but that's as far as it gets.

I'm doing all this as sa too.

Cheers

Farren

• You need to have a shared drive between the 2 servers to set LS.(both the servers should be able to access it, check with permissions)

Place the backed up copy in the shared drive.

Log to the other server and test if you can copy that and paste it in any local drive, if all fine, then it should not have any problem.

• I definitely have the shared drives configured OK and have got this working no problem in our test environment.

I would assume to see a more obvious error if it was unable to access the shared directory.

Also, the db has been manually copied to the seoncary server and restored as a read-only standby.

I'm not sure the error I'm seeing related to the share but then again I'm not sure what it means as I've never see it before.

Farren

• did you tick the checkbox saying "Enable this as primary database in a log shipping configuration"

• Yes I sure did 🙂

As I say, this is something that I set up on a test environment very easily and am following the same procedure in live so am surprised to be seeing any errors at all.

Farren

• You should read this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314515

• That link is more for MSSQL 2000 which is a little different to 2005 onwards so I don't think that will help.

Cheers

Farren

• Oops... mistake. Please go through

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190640(SQL.90).aspx

You can try to create a new shared folder and while Log Shipping configuration provide the full \\servername\saredfodler\

Ensure that the SQL Server service account has read and write permissions from both the servers.

• Thanks for that.

To be honest I have already read through that link and had no problem doing this in

Test. I have the log share dirs set up and they seem fine. I'm sure if it was a problem with MSSQL being unable to write to the share this would manifest when it actually tried to do some log shipping but I'm not even getting as far as it being able to register the primary as I see the following error:-

Hi all

Any idea why I might be seeing this error when trying to set up log shipping ?

Cheers

Farren

Save Log Shipping Configuration

- Saving secondary destination configuration [CHI-DB-ICCM].[ework] (Success)

- Saving primary backup setup (Error)

SQL Server Management Studio could not save the configuration of 'SOM-DB-ICCM' as a Primary. (Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Error converting data type nvarchar to uniqueidentifier. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 8114)

• I believe that I've seen this before; are you using the wizard to create a script? In my case the script was incorrect and I had to step through it and correct the problem statements.

• Well it's not quite a wizard in 2005 but I am using Management Studio to do the config (right-clicking the db and going to properties/log shipping).

Thing is, in test this works no problem on a copy of the same db so it's a bit odd.

I did output to a script as well though so I will have to go through that I guess 🙂

Cheers

Farren

• Might it be because you have - on both databases - an autogenerated UNIQUEIDENTIFIER column, so the log shipping is attempting to update a column with a specific value (from the Primary) into a column which is set up to generate it's own generated value. This'd be a problem with an Identity column too. Try amending the target to NVARCHAR value appropriate to accepting a GUID (NVARCHAR (24) IIRC). You'd then need to set up a check for failover to amend this column to generate it's own value based upon whether or not it is now the primary.

Just a guess based on the error message, like.

If this is the case, you may well need to do a bit of research into how to secure your failover in this situation

• Thanks Andrew, that gives me some good stuff to be looking into.

I was hoping this was going to be simple 🙂

Farren

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply