can't add maintenance plan after changing password

• Cannot add any maintenance plans after chaning the login's password. The error that my log shows is the following:

The prelogin packet used to open the connection is structurally invalid; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library. [CLIENT: ]

Error: 17828, Severity: 20, State: 3.

Any ideas?

• Hilda (9/8/2009)

Cannot add any maintenance plans after chaning the login's password. The error that my log shows is the following:

The prelogin packet used to open the connection is structurally invalid; the connection has been closed. Please contact the vendor of the client library. [CLIENT: ]

Error: 17828, Severity: 20, State: 3.

Any ideas?

What login was changed, and what software was using the login. what version and edition of sql server are you running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I changed the passwords for two accounts: the machine_name\Administrator and the account that it was used to create some databases (i.e. "dbuser").

One of the things I don't understand about sql is how the maintenance plans work. When I login with the machine_name\Administrator or the "dbuser" I can see the "maintenance plans" folder. When I login as a third user which was used to create another database, I cannot longer see the "maintenace plans" folder. Nobody seems to remember what the sa password is. Ggggrrrrh!!

We're using SQL Server Standard Edition 9.00.39

• Hilda (9/9/2009)

I changed the passwords for two accounts: the machine_name\Administrator and the account that it was used to create some databases (i.e. "dbuser").

One of the things I don't understand about sql is how the maintenance plans work. When I login with the machine_name\Administrator or the "dbuser" I can see the "maintenance plans" folder. When I login as a third user which was used to create another database, I cannot longer see the "maintenace plans" folder. Nobody seems to remember what the sa password is. Ggggrrrrh!!

We're using SQL Server Standard Edition 9.00.39

dont quite understand the issue, do you need to use the sa account for some reason, in theory, the sa account should either be disabled or not used (security and best practise). why dont you change the sa password.

there is no such verision SQL Server Standard Edition 9.00.39

can you post back with the results from

select @@version

http://www.sqlsecurity.com/FAQs/SQLServerVersionDatabase/tabid/63/Default.aspx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]

• Sorry about the incomplete information.

Here's the version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86) Oct 14 2005 00:33:37 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

• Hilda (9/10/2009)

Sorry about the incomplete information.

Here's the version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86) Oct 14 2005 00:33:37 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

That version is RTM and to be totally honest you should have the latest service pack or at the very minimum Service Pack 2, Issues with Maintenance plans have been fixed in service packs.

I would suggest that you service pack your sql server instance, to the latest if possible. you can see the links in the URL in my previous post or you can use.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ae7387c3-348c-4faa-8ae5-949fdfbe59c4&displaylang=en

• Thank you, I'll do that and try it again. Hopefully the error will disappear.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply