Cann't take backup on Network Drive

• Hi Kevin,

I dint understand what do u mean by "user Log on'. how can i check that.

Let me tell you am trying to backup my remote server from XP Sp2 computer (its non domain). Am getting msg as Logon failure 3201. I have taken backup using remote connection in a different computer it worked fine. but on 1 computer we are having problem. I have created shared folder, has full access.

can you tell me what should i do

Thanks

Sue

• sue.bandi (3/1/2011)

Hi Kevin,

I dint understand what do u mean by "user Log on'. how can i check that.

Let me tell you am trying to backup my remote server from XP Sp2 computer (its non domain). Am getting msg as Logon failure 3201. I have taken backup using remote connection in a different computer it worked fine. but on 1 computer we are having problem. I have created shared folder, has full access.

can you tell me what should i do

Thanks

Sue

Sue this is very old thread.... Anyways.... As I undst your both machines are not part of the domain, if yes then create a user locally on both the machines and give full access to to the shared folder as well as sql server installation directory and use this login as service account, make sure that users name and password is exactly same on both the machine.

Tell me if this helps

Rohit

• thanks for reply, but one question i have if i change service account of my production server (which i want to take backup), do i need to create that user on all my machines from where i might take backup (when needed)?

we generally connect to the production server using SA rather than taking remote desktop, will it cause any issues?

• sue.bandi (3/1/2011)

thanks for reply, but one question i have if i change service account of my production server (which i want to take backup), do i need to create that user on all my machines from where i might take backup (when needed)?

we generally connect to the production server using SA rather than taking remote desktop, will it cause any issues?

See is your service account on prod server a domain account or windows account???

If windows local account then create a account on the backup server with same userid and password and give the destination share full access to this share or if it is a domain account you can give the share permissions anyway.

What I'm taking about is you need to use this account to start your sql services (mssql & sql agent), I assume your're using sql jobs to take backup and I'll suggest you one thing.. Take backup locally in one step then in next step copy it to network share. so that even if the share is not available and the job fails in step 2 i.e. copy file even then you've a back and you can manually run it from step two.... Local backup is normally faster then network.

Tell me if this helps.

Rohit

• It is on windows account. Ok i will take back on local then will copy to network.

Thank you it helped me.

• Hi

Thank you

• if it is no security problem for you, you can allow everyone to share permissions AND NTFS Security on the server you want to backup thru.

if you cant do that, try to allow the computer account also to both, share and NTFS

if this also not work for you let your database service run under a domain account and allow this to the share.

at my side each of this works fine.

cu

*M*

• For Creating backup a SQL Server database to a mapped drive using a local drive letter you have the following options:

1. Run the following command from a query window EXEC xp_cmdshell 'net use <drivename> <share name>'

-- where

<drive name>: Letter used to map the drive

<share name>: UNC path to the share

2. After that you should be able to backup using the mapped drive letter

3. Your Management Studio Object Explorer logical drive enumeration window should be able to list the above mapped drive

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply