Cannot view deployed packages from Management Studio

• I have some freshly deployed ssis packages to msdb. The developers deployed the packages using dtutil. The destination sql instance that hosts this msdb is a named instance; no other instances are installed on that machine. The ssis config file choise is xml and the actual config file has been modified accordingly.

The developers could run successfully some of the packages as we've tested the security around the ssis app and not only.

The problem here is that the packages cannot be viewed when connecting through Management Studio. I am using a sysadmin account to connect. It seems also there should be a folder where the packages are stored. However, if running tsql, the result set gives all the packages deployed.

Does anyone know why Management Studio does not show the packages, is there a known bug? The instance is build 2047.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• Hi,

While connecting to the server through SSMS, In the "server type" drop down list select Integration services and provide the necessary authentication.

Then connect to the service and you can see the SSIS packages here.

• I connect to the server as you described,the security it's ok. It's only the packages cannot be viewed nor the folder they've been deployed to. However, they exist as selecting from the relevant sql system view gave the expected list of packages.

Once again, this is not a security issue.

• By connecting above, you can see the list of packages available and execute them.

If you need to Edit or view the package content, then you should use BIDS (click run--> devenv.exe).

Create a new project

Open the project

In the right pane, you can see solution explorer

On the "SSIS packages" folder right click and select "Add existing package"

Then provide the servername and authentication and then you can select your package in the "package path"

Double click on the package name to view or edit it

• vidhya sagar (11/1/2007)

By connecting above, you can see the list of packages available and execute them.

The issue is I cannot see the packages by connecting above.

Do I have to define the folders under msdn in the config file as well as the named instance name? Thanks.

• Hi,

You can add the package yourself after connecting to integration services.

Connect to integration services.

Expand Stored packages

Right click on MSDB folder and click on "Import package"

Follow the onscreen option to import package from sql server or from a legacy package

• I think you are misunderstanding what he is saying. He is saying, he can not SEE the msdb folder after connecting to the SSIS vis management studio.

I do have the same problem.

My server is a cluster server.

SQL Silvey

• I too have the same problem. Guessing some permissions issue.

please post the solution, if someone got it.

• hi, is there a solution to this issue? i have the same problem!

• You cannot view it directly in SSMS. I tried it, but no result. Only way to edit a package or view it is in BIDS or Visual Studio. If anyone finds a way to do it in SSMS, let us know.

• rajiv.varma (4/28/2010)

You cannot view it directly in SSMS. I tried it, but no result. Only way to edit a package or view it is in BIDS or Visual Studio. If anyone finds a way to do it in SSMS, let us know.

Did you connect to 'Integration Services' in SSMS (rather than the usual 'Database Engine')?

You can check the existence of MSDB and File System packages here, or run them, but you cannot edit them.

So it depends what you meant by 'view'.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I did connect to the Integration Services engine. As you said, one can see what packages are there in the MSDB. But yeah, no one can edit them here.

• Try this....

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=2061

worked for me!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply