Cannot use SQL Agent Mail

• Hello, thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Here is what I am working with:

SQL Server 2000 Standard

8.00.760 (SP3)

3GB RAM

Dual Xeon 2.4GHz

I am unable to send email to any operators because I cannot set up a SQL Agent mail session/mail profile.  There are no profiles to choose from.

In the "SUPPORT SERVICES/SQL Mail" folder, I can use my Exchange mail profile and it tests fine. I can then use xp_sendmail in TSQL with no problem.

This Exchange profile though, does not show up in my SQL Agent mail profile list.

Any ideas?

Thank you...

Michael Obrycki

• A solution to this any future headaches, use xp_smtp_sendmail fro http://www.sqldev.net

This allows you to use any old SMTP server and you don't have to worry about configuring SQL Mail.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• What account are your SQL Services running under? Make sure that you login as this account an create your Outlook profile and use this profile for SQL Mail.

• Actually it sounds as though the SQLAgent service may be running under a different user account from SQLServer itself (since SQL server can see the profile but the agent cant).

You would need to log in and create a mail profile using the same user that is running the SQL Agent service.

• SQL Server and the agent run under the same account.  The mail profile has been created with that same account also.

• Have you re-started SQL Agent? I found it sometimes needs to be restarted to re-establish a MAPI session if the exchange server has been re-configured.

• Rsstarted the agent, SQL, and the server... still no luck

• Can you view (and post) the agent error log?

• Michael

Is there a reason you're persisting with the SQL Mail configuration? Surely in 6 days of troubleshooting without a resolution you'd be prepared to try something different

Using xp_smtp_sendmail WILL make things a lot, lot easier.

--------------------

• I stated that I can use SQL Mail fine.  I don't use xp_sendmail - I just stated that I can.  I don't understand why I cannot use the SQL Agent mail.  I want to be able to create an Operator that can be emailed when something goes wrong.  I cannot do that unless SQL Agent mail is working - (unless there is another way you may know of).

• Yes, there is another way. Use xp_smtp_sendmail from http://www.sqldev.net

For our SQL Servers we don't use Outlook, SQL Mail, SQL Agent Mail or any Operators.

We have alerts defined for severity level 16 and above. These alerts fire a scheduled job that executes xp_smtp_sendmail using SQL Agent Tokens. Check http://www.sqldev.net for a good article on tokens.

Very simple and we don't have to worry about Exchange going down and causing a restart of SQL Server.

--------------------

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply