cannot start Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher

• I just installed sql 2008 dev on windows server 2003. Everything went thru fine, except, I'm looking at sql server services in SQL Server Conf. Mgr and noticed that Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher is stopped and every time I tried to start it, I get error msg: "the service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it (0x80070422)".

What do I need to do to fix this? Do I need to start it? Is it a critical service that needs to be running?

Not sure what the deal is.

J.

• Under which account is the full-text filter daemon launcher service running?

You need this service running if your application is using the Full-Text Search feature.

Also make sure that the Named Pipes protocol is enabled for this SQL instance;

it is needed for communication between the SQL Server process and the full-text filter daemon launcher process.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• it still won't work.

I enabled named pipes thru sql server ent. mgr. I re-booted. I tried using all three possible accts from the drop down menu: Local system; local service; network service. I also tried with specific account option (using the administrator) and still can't apply changes. the same error pop up window comes up.

What else can it be?

• Did you get an answer? I'm having the exact same trouble, would love guidance if anyone helped you.

• Not yet. This is on a dev box running Win server 2003. Let me know if you get any clues or answers.

Thanks,

John

• I did get things running, using these steps:

1) IMPORTANT: Right-click My Computer, go to the Manage Local Users/Groups area, and add "Local Service" to the group called SQLServerFDHostUser$[computername]$MSSQLSERVER

2) Start SQL Server Configuration Manager

3) In the Services branch, edit properties for Full-text Filter Daemon and set the Log on account to "Local Service"

4) In the services tab also change start mode to Automatic (probably says Disabled). If Automatic doesn't work, try Manual

5) Right-click the Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher service and do Start.

6) Optional step (I'm pretty sure I didn't have to do it, but did anyway): run this T-SQL command:

[font="Courier New"]EXEC sp_fulltext_service 'restart_all_fdhosts'[/font]

That should do it, you should now be able to right-click any table in a database, then Full-text Index->Define full text index

• Hi All,

I'm trying to do the above steps,

But I don't find the SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher in the SQL server services in the Configuration manager.

What should I do get the SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher to be displayed in the Sql Server Services.

Please help me out solving this problem,

Thanks,

Abdul.

• It's an optional component of the Database Engine. You need to rerun setup and select it.

• Thanks a Ton Cath.

Thanks,

Abdul.

• eschrepel,

I tried all the steps one by one and it still doesn't work. I even re-booted the system.

• Cath, do I need to unistall and re-install sql server, do can I just run set up.exe and add that component?

Regards,

John

• You can just add that component, no need to reinstall.

• It turns out I had already installed that component, so that was not it. BTW, I have the developer ed. installed.

Regards,

John

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply