Cannot resolve collation conflict for equal to operation.

• We recently moved several SQL7 databases to a fresh install of SQL2000 and we get the error Cannot resolve collation conflict for equal to operation. when using temp tables, select into, and linked servers which I beleive all relates back to the tempdb having a different collation than the dbs move over from SQL7. I would like to end up with the updated collation on the older databases and wondering if there is a less time consuming way to do this than running alter statements on all of the tables in all of the databses. Does anyone have scripts written for this that they can share? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

• I am not sure if you are on the same boat where I was some time back. I had similar kind of issue, later I discovered that model database had different collation than what I needed, thus It created lot of problems. After fixing the model database collation, all problems disappeared.

Swarndeep

http://talksql.blogspot.com

• That is the boat I am in but after researching the process for converting master, model, and tempdb to the old collation I am interested in seeing if there are other options. I found an article from Steve Jones that showed specifying the collation in the joins and after some trial and error I have that working in the places I need. One thing I discovered there was that the db needs to be at 80 compatability to use collate in the select otherwise you get a benign syntax error. If you found an easier way to do convert the model db I would be interested in hearing it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply