Cannot remote connect to SSIS

• Cannot connect to DK_SQL_01.

------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoEnum)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476

Connect to SSIS Service on machine "DK_SQL_01" failed:

The RPC server is unavailable.

Connect to SSIS Service on machine "DK_SQL_01" failed:

The RPC server is unavailable.

BUTTONS:

OK

Additional info from MS = zilch.

The server and SSIS is running - because I can connect when locally on the machine and I'm quite sure I did configure it to accept remote connections.

TIA

Peter

• Try the following if the login you are using is not a local admin:

Windows 2003 Server (SP1) and Windows XP (SP2)

-         If the user running under non-admin account it needs to be added to Distributed COM Users group

-         Run %windir%\system32\Com\comexp.msc to launch Component Services

-         Expend Component Services\Computers\My Computer\DCOM Config

-         Right click on MsDtsServer node and choose properties

-         In MsDtsServer Properties dialog go to Security page

-         Configure your settings as described bellow

-         Restart SSIS Service

In the Security page we are interested in “Launch and Activation Permissions” section. Click Edit button to see “Launch Permissions” dialog.

“Launch Permissions” dialog allows you to configure SSIS server access per user/group. In the bottom of the dialog you can select:

-         Local / Remote Launch permissions if you allow to a user/group to start service locally or remotely.

-         Local / Remote Activation permissions if you allow to a user/group to connect to SSIS server locally or remotely.

Here are few examples of SSIS server configurations:

Enable Remote Access

By default low privileged users can only connect to SSIS Server on the local machine when the service already started. It is shown by the fact that only Local Activation checked for Machine\Users group. To grant the user permission connect to the running server remotely – check remote activation.

Control Who Can Start the Service

Normally SSIS Server can be started by a member of Administrators group either locally or remotely. It can be started either using conventional ways or by calling a method on an enabled SSIS service.

In some situations you may want to share these rights with low privileged users or revoke these rights from an administrator. It can be done by checking/un-checking Local/Remote Launch check boxes.

Windows 2000 SP4

-         Run dcomcnfg.exe

-         On Applications page of “Destributed COM Configuration Properties” dialog select MSDTSServer and click Properties button

-         Select Security page

-         Configure your settings as described bellow

-         Restart SSIS Service

Security settings on Win2K are a little deferent then on Win2K3 or WinXP. There are 2 separate dialogs to configure Access Permissions and Launch Permissions. Unfortunately you can’t distinguish between remote and local access. By default on this platform any members of Machine/Users group have remote/local access and launch permissions.

Best Practice to Manage Remote Users for a SSIS Server

We recommend creating one or several windows groups (Distributed SSIS Users, etc) that you can use to control remote access using steps described above. You can also use the same groups to control access to packages stored in SSIS Store.

Unfortunately groups can’t be used when you need to add a user to Distributed COM Users group. Users should be added to the group one by one.

Local User Access to a Remote SSIS Server

If you are running under a local user account on your client machine, you can still access remote SSIS server under the following conditions:

-         The machine running remote SSIS server should have an account with exactly same name and password as the one you are running under.

-         The account should be configured to access SSIS server as described above.

Delegation Problems

SSIS 2005 doesn’t support scenario when a client, SSIS Server and underlying SQL server running on 3 different machines.

This scenario can emerge when you change default MsDtsSrvr.ini.xml to point to a remote SQL server (for example when you implement a shared SQL Store or want to separate SQL Server and SSIS Server for security reasons)

• Did you resolve this error? What was the solution ?

The above solution is not working for me

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia

• I had the "RPC Server is unavailable" error as well. I fixed it by starting the Romote Procedure Call Locator in 'Control Panel > Services' on both the server and client.

• This article will resolve your problem:

http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/ssis-integration-services-remote-connection-rpc-server-unavailable.aspx

sds,

Carlos Eduardo Pieren

• I did add MsDtsSrvr.exe AND port 135 to the firewall excception list, but I still can not remote connect to SSIS. Anything else I need to do?

• What Windows do you have?

Regards,

Carlos Eduardo Pieren

• Thanks for your repley! Here is the information about my environment:

The client is Windows XP Service Pack 3.

The sql server is Windows 2003 Service Pack 2; SQL Server Standard Edition SP3.

I can remote connect to the Database Engine on the same server.

And I can connect to SSIS locally on that server.

• On the client, turn off de Windows Firewall, and try to connect.

If you can connect, add a exception on the firewall:

Port 135 e MsDtsSrvr.exe

Regards,

Carlos Eduardo Pieren

• Turning off Firewall on the client side doesn't help. As I said before, I am able to remote connect to Database Engine, but not SSIS. I have added MsDtsSrvr.exe and Port 135 on the server side.

The error message I got is "The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT:0x800706BA) (Microsoft.SqlServer.DTSRuntimeWrap)"

I think the problem is not with Firewall (I can run telnet mysqlserver 135 fine). My account has local admin privilege.

I think I have done everything I can think of, but still ....

• There's a follow-up to this post at the bottom:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337083.aspx

see;

"This post is incomplete! "

section at the bottom.

Tim White

• To take off all the doubts!!

Turn of the firewall on the server and try to connect the SSiS.

Carlos Eduardo Pieren

• I am having two problems related to this "RPC Server is unavailable" business. One involves connecting to SSIS and the other involves connecting to a SQL 2000 instance that I just installed. The kicker with the SQL 2000 instance is that there is another instance on the same server and I can connect to it just fine!

This is throwing me for a loop because I am trying to set up replication between two servers and the subscriber can't see the distribution server. I have the firewalls turned off on both servers but I still can't seem to figure it out. The only obvious difference between the instance I can connect to and the instance I can't is that the new instance only has SP4 while the older one has a newer patch. I plan on applying the patch on the new instance tomorrow afternoon to see what happens.

I don't know if my two problems are directly connected but I am seeing a lot of RPC problems in my Google quest to solve these issues so I am hoping that there will be one solution to rule them all.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• Have you found a soluction to this problem yet?

• This is so frustrating.

DTS was FINE. Why did they have to mess this up?

We are not running Windows firewall, SSIS is installed on the Server. We cannot connect remotely. There is a hardware firewall. 135 and 3882 are open. RPC and RPC Locator are both set to start automatically on the server and the client.

This sucks. Give me back DTS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply