Cannot rebuild master SQL2005 SE

• my master database has been corrupted, event id 9003 logged with:

The log scan number (330129:232:1) passed to log scan in database 'master' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup.

of course the service fails to start.

i`ve tried to rebuild it using from the setup DVD path: start /wait setup.exe /qn INSTANCENAME=MSSQL.1 REINSTALL=SQL_Engine REBUILDDATABASE=1 SAPWD=password

it waits a little and does nothing (no regeneration)

I have a master backup but don`t know how to restore it without the service up.

any ideas?

• Hi glovato

I truly hope you have already resolved your issue by now but in case here is a little bit of information which may help:

the setup.exe MUST be on the original install path. If the original

install was performed from \\server\c$\folder then this path MUST be

used for the setup.exe to rebuild the master database. You cannot copy

the CD to a local directory, map a drive or anything other than the

original install path.

Credit: http://www.sqlnewsgroups.net/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.server/topic22156.aspx

Keep us informed.

Maxim

• Maxim,

there was no way to regenerate them, the setup was on the original path but it kept doing nothing(i suspect the installation got severely corrupted).

What i did was take another SQL2005, restore the master backup there and copy the files to the offending server, then it worked like a charm

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply