Cannot Open sql80.col

• I have started getting this message opening BOL on a system where it has been working for years.

System is Windows NT SP4 with a local install of SQLServer2000.

On trying to open BOL I am getting the message 'Cannot open .... sql80.col'.

I have Googled this and tried suggested solutions including verifying the presence and contents of sql80.col (it opens fine in Notepad), deleting all but one copy of hhctrl.ocx, ensuring that that one is the latest (v5.2.3790.2847 (srv03_sp1_gdr.061210-2319)) and unregistering and reregistering it with RegSvr32.

Running RegClean.exe just to make sure!

I created manually a new shortcut to hh.exe and verified the paths.

Tried running hh.exe directly from the command prompt.

Downloaded and reinstalled BOL.

Still the same problem.

Any ideas welcome !

• i saw one guy said when he re-installed the last service pack for sql server, it fixed his machine;

but more importantly, it looks like some security setting that was added to prevent an attacker from using help or something; i found this in a post:

Jacob,

Try installing this patch..

HTML Help Update to Limit Functionality When It Is Invoked with the

window.showHelp( ) Method

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630

--DineshSQL Server MVP----SQL Server FAQ athttp://www.tkdinesh.com

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for that.  Some of the affected files are different versions.  The trick now is to find the correct ones for an unsupported OS !

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply