Cannot Login to Local Server

• Hello!

I installed SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition (Trial) on my new Dell Laptop over the weekend.

Installation went fine - I also installed SQL Server 2K5 SP2 afterwards.

I can't login to the database through Management Studio - I keep getting errors about not having the correct permissions! I was using Windows Auth. So i googled, and realized i hadnt used the User Provisioning Tool, so i loaded this up and tried to assign permissions to my username (windows Auth).

The User Provisioning tool came up with an error about the server not allowing remote connections?? I enabled remote connections through the Surface Configurator but still nothing.

Even my SA login doesnt work? I am lost. Ive installed SQL on my laptop twice now and still got the same results.

Kind Regards,

Matt.

• As far as I am aware, Enterprise Edition is not supported on Vista??

When you said (Trial) did you mean Evaluation Edition?

• Kev,

Yes, i meant Evaluation Edition, sorry.

Ok, i never realised Enterprise Edition wasnt support on Vista. I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Matt.

• It's OK - Evaluation Edition is supported on Vista.

And to add to the confusion, Evaluation Edition is a time limited version of Enterprise Edition, so in this case , yes, Enterprise Edition is supported. I was just trying to clarify what you had actually installed.

• Remove Windows authorization and try to login. If it succeeds then go for Windows auth.

Like Microsoft tips check the basics, password is correct or not, password policy is ok or not. I am not sure about Vista but conceptually it should not have any problem.

• Anirban Paul (2/26/2008)

Remove Windows authorization and try to login. If it succeeds then go for Windows auth.

Like Microsoft tips check the basics, password is correct or not, password policy is ok or not. I am not sure about Vista but conceptually it should not have any problem.

Okay, thanks. I will give it a go this evening.

Matt.

• From what I've found - it depends on the version of Vista you're running. If you're not running Vista Business or Vista Ultimate, you don't get full access to Windows Auth, so certain things requiring it just fall apart (whichever licensing troll thought it would be a good idea to bring back this gem from the Millenium Edition debacle ought to be tortured, slowly - over a hot fire).

You do get some access, enough that the DB engine will allow you to use "windows auth". Certain other things (like SSRS) don't fall for it, and just don't install on other versions of Vista. I'm also not sure if it will really talk to a "true" active directory, and not just the local stub of AD running local users.

...at least that's where I find myself. Whoever thought up the "32 flavors of Vista" and the intractable maze of lost features really needs to spend a few years being forced to listen to the SAME Barry Manilow song, over and over and over again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Ive got it working!

I restarted all the services, then used the Surface Area configurator to Add a new administrator and it worked?

Weird - i didnt really do anything!

Matt, im using Vista Home Premium.

Kind Regards,

Matt

• I'm assuming that's the database engine, right? That will in fact run.

If on the other hand, you get SSRS (reporting services) installed OR running on home premium - I want to know!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply