'Cannot join on Memo, OLE, or Hyperlink Object' Error

• I have some SQL in the code of one of my reports that calls fields from linked (SQL) tables and some pass through queries stored in stored procedures. When I try to open the report, I get the following error:

'Cannot join on Memo, OLE, or Hyperlink Object (tblSupport.SupportID=rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.Expr1)'

Here is my SQL Statement:

strSQLStmt = "SELECT rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.*, tblSupport.FirstName, tblSupport.LastName" & _

" FROM tblSupport INNER JOIN rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions ON tblSupport.SupportID = rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.Expr1" & _

" WHERE (((rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.TicketNumber) In (SELECT tblTickets.TicketNumber" & _

" FROM tblTickets RIGHT JOIN tblTicketAssignments ON tblTickets.TicketNumber = tblTicketAssignments.TicketID" & _

" WHERE (((tblTicketAssignments.SupportID)=" & [Forms]![frmReportParameterFormSupportDateOpenClose]![cboSupport] & ")"

I'm sure it's obvious, but rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions is a pass through query and Expr1 is just a string passed from a form to the query as a variable and then spit back out in a column. It is set as a varchar on the SQL side.

Any ideas of how to make this work? Thanks for your help!

• gomikem (9/12/2008)

I have some SQL in the code of one of my reports that calls fields from linked (SQL) tables and some pass through queries stored in stored procedures. When I try to open the report, I get the following error:

'Cannot join on Memo, OLE, or Hyperlink Object (tblSupport.SupportID=rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.Expr1)'

Here is my SQL Statement:

strSQLStmt = "SELECT rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.*, tblSupport.FirstName, tblSupport.LastName" & _

" FROM tblSupport INNER JOIN rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions ON tblSupport.SupportID = rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.Expr1" & _

" WHERE (((rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.TicketNumber) In (SELECT tblTickets.TicketNumber" & _

" FROM tblTickets RIGHT JOIN tblTicketAssignments ON tblTickets.TicketNumber = tblTicketAssignments.TicketID" & _

" WHERE (((tblTicketAssignments.SupportID)=" & [Forms]![frmReportParameterFormSupportDateOpenClose]![cboSupport] & ")"

I'm sure it's obvious, but rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions is a pass through query and Expr1 is just a string passed from a form to the query as a variable and then spit back out in a column. It is set as a varchar on the SQL side.

Any ideas of how to make this work? Thanks for your help!

Did your try :

SELECT rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.*, tblSupport.FirstName, tblSupport.LastName

FROM tblSupport

INNER JOIN rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions

ON tblSupport.SupportID = rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.Expr1

Where exists ( SELECT *

FROM tblTickets T

-- why use the right outer join ???

inner JOIN tblTicketAssignments A

ON T.TicketNumber = A.TicketID

where T.TicketNumber = rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.TicketNumber )

" AND tblTicketAssignments.SupportID = " & [Forms]![frmReportParameterFormSupportDateOpenClose]![cboSupport].textvalue & ""

... Expr1 is just a string passed ...

of what datatype ??

What columns are concatenated to get to your expr1 column ?

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Sorry it took so long to respond! I tried the following:

"FROM tblSupport" & _

"INNER JOIN rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions" & _

"ON tblSupport.SupportID = rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.Expr1" & _

"WHERE EXISTS ( SELECT *" & _

"FROM tblTickets T" & _

"INNER JOIN tblTicketAssignments A" & _

"ON T.TicketNumber = A.TicketID" & _

"WHERE T.TicketNumber = rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.TicketNumber )" & _

"AND tblTicketAssignments.SupportID = " & [Forms]![frmReportParameterFormSupportDateOpenClose]![cboSupport].textvalue & ""

And got an error that said: Run-time error 438: Object doesn't support this property or method. When I debug, it highlights the query above.

Also, Expr1 is: @Expr1 VARCHAR(256)

That variable is passed through using a dynamically created pass-through query and the data is actually just a number. Should it be changed to INT?

• When I changed it to INT and go back to my old query, I get further than I did when it was varchar. The error I mentioned above went away. I will make some more modifications and see if I got it! Thanks for your help with everything. I'll come back and reply how everything worked out!

• One thing to note. You need to make sure there is a space between the end of each line and the double quote before the & _. Else when Access compiles the lines, they will all run together. Try fixing those, then post back if it still does not work.

Greg
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The glass is at one half capacity: nothing more, nothing less.

• gomikem - Friday, September 12, 2008 10:14 AM

I have some SQL in the code of one of my reports that calls fields from linked (SQL) tables and some pass through queries stored in stored procedures. When I try to open the report, I get the following error:

Here is my SQL Statement: strSQLStmt = "SELECT rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.*, tblSupport.FirstName, tblSupport.LastName" & _ " FROM tblSupport INNER JOIN rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions ON tblSupport.SupportID = rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.Expr1" & _ " WHERE (((rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.TicketNumber) In (SELECT tblTickets.TicketNumber" & _ " FROM tblTickets RIGHT JOIN tblTicketAssignments ON tblTickets.TicketNumber = tblTicketAssignments.TicketID" & _ " WHERE (((tblTicketAssignments.SupportID)=" & [Forms]![frmReportParameterFormSupportDateOpenClose]![cboSupport] & ")" I'm sure it's obvious, but rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions is a pass through query and Expr1 is just a string passed from a form to the query as a variable and then spit back out in a column. It is set as a varchar on the SQL side.Any ideas of how to make this work? Thanks for your help!

Hi, 
    today i got same error. finally fixed. 

1) first linked sql query remove
    2) remove index both field  (tblSupport.SupportID=rptSupportJobsExtendedOptions.Expr1)
    3) check also both field same data type like nvarchar(100)
    3) after reattach query
    4) run this query will work
    5)if work then you can add index again

Thanks & Regards
    Siva
    Srivilliputtur
    www.friendlylearn.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply