cannot install the DTS 2000 runtime

• Hello,

We've got SQL 2005 running. We didn't upgrade from SQL 2000; we just installed the SQL 2005 on a free machine.

However, I've got a DTS package that someone sent us that I need to try to run. If not run, we need to upgrade it to SQL 2005's SSIS.

When I go to legacy components and try to open the DTS package (which we have in a stand alone file), we get this error message:

"Execute DTS 2000 Package Task requires the SQL Server 2000 Data Transformation Services (DTS) runtime. To install the DTS runtime, run the SQL Server installation wizard. On the components to install page, click Advanced, then select Legacy Components for installation. (Microsoft.sqlserver.Exec80PackageTaskUI.)”

That seems reasonably clear. So, we put the SQL 2005 installation disc in and navigate to the Legacy Components section. However, the grey box that is associated with DTS is greyed out. The error message that we get this time is that the SQL 2005 installation is locked.

Does anyone have an alternative way to install the DTS 2000 runtime on a SQL 2005 server without using the installation wizard? Thanks.

• You can obtain the runtime and the designer components via the feature pack.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d09c1d60-a13c-4479-9b91-9e8b9d835cdc&displaylang=en

• Hi Tommy,

Thanks very much for the quick reply. We've already installed the DTS Designer Components from this web page. However, we still got the error that I described in my first post, i.e., that we didn't have the DTS 2000 runtime.

When we got the error trying to install the DTS Runtime from the SQL 2005 installation disc, I suggested to our network Admin that he uninstall the DTS Designer components first. He did that and we still got the error that said our DTS Runtime was missing.

From these experiences I have been assuming that the DTS Runtime was something different than the DTS Designer Components.

thanks.

• NP - the runtime component is available in the package labeled "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components". Have you installed this as well?

• Tommy,

Thanks again for the help. You helped us find the link to the DTS runtime. We didn't see it initially.

We have successfully installed the DTS runtime and the DTS designer components. Now we're in business.

have a great day. 🙂

• NP, You too 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply