Cannot install SQL Server 2008 Ent on new laptop

• I'm trying to install our SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition on my brand-new laptop running Windows 7 Pro (32 bits). When lauching the install, it says:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Installation has failed.

SQL Server 2008 Setup required .NET framework 3.5 to be installed."

But every prerequesites for MSSQL has already been installed correctly. Visual Studio 2008 Pro SP1 is installed AND 3.5 SP1.

Strangely, everything is fine when I try to install MSSQL 2008 Express. All test passed successfully and installation would be fine.

Of course, Installer 4.5 and Powershell are already installed.

So, is there something I've missed?? Why can't I install our Enterprise edition??

thanks for your help

• I don't know if you can install it on a Pro version... I had to upgrade my Vista laptop from Home to Ultimate to be able to install Dev (Ent in all but licensing).

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Yeah, you really can't put 2008 Enterprise on Windows 7 pro:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx#EE32

It's strange that that's the message you get though. Is it definitely Enterprise Edition?

• It might not be in the list of supported platforms, but I've definitely installed the 180 day Evaluation version on Windows 7 Pro before.

There's a install log somewhere that should tell you the specific error.

• well, our Enterprise Edition is already installed on my XP Pro PC and it works great, so why shoudn't be able to install it on a Windows 7 Pro ??!

Where can I find the installation log??

• Dominic Gagné (6/4/2010)

well, our Enterprise Edition is already installed on my XP Pro PC and it works great, so why shoudn't be able to install it on a Windows 7 Pro ??!

XP Pro is the highest level of that OS. Vista/7 pro isn't.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• so, is it to say that i'm screw?? I'll have to keep my old XP Pro in order to do SQL 2008 development because it can't be installed on Windows 7 Pro, unless I upgrade to Ultimate ?? Or install the DEV edition?

• It's irrelevant whether you're using the Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise version of Windows 7 - all work fine despite not being officially supported versions.

You just need to do some investigation into the exact error you're getting before anyone can actually help you solve your problem.

• ok then, I'll go check the installation log next time I'll try it and come back here for some feedback from you guys

thanks a lot for your time and help, I really appreciate.

• only log entries are when I tried to install the Express edition. When executing the Enterprise setup, it gives the error right at the beginning and no log entries are made.

• OK, you should find the .Net setup log in %temp%\dd_net_framework35_MSI*.txt.

I take it you're running the setup as a local administrator and specifically running the executable in Administrative mode (right click->Run as administrator)?

• there is no such file on my entire HDD. But Framework 3.5 SP1 is already install. VS 2008 works fine and project using framework 3.5 deploy correctly.

Yes, I'm administrator of my PC and I tried to run the Setup As Administrator.

• If you go and check Windows Features do you see the box checked (or colored blue) for the .NET framework 3.5. I'm not at my Windows 7 box, but I had to actually check that box in order for it to install (course mine was just Standard edition). I'm guessing since you have VS installed it probably is, just something I had to check for the install.

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• yes, .NET 3.5 is enabled in the features.

I'll try installing the Dev Edition, which I'm currently downloading from our MSDN subscription. Is it legal to develop and works on the Dev edition?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply