Cannot insert the value NULL into column

• Hi,

I have the query below to move data from database A table A to database B table B. Both DB's are similar in schema.

This is the statement:

SELECT

provider_ud = REPLACE(pr.TaxIDNumber, '-','') + '_' + LEFT(p.FirstName, 3) + LEFT(p.LastName,3)

,last_name = p.LastName

,first_name = p.FirstName

,middle_name = p.MiddleName

,name_prefix = px.PrefixName

,name_suffix = sx.SuffixName

,dob = p.BirthDate

,gender = CASE WHEN p.GenderID = 1 THEN 'M' ELSE 'F' END

,language_id = 3 -- Default to English

,pend_claims = 0 -- Default to 0

,currency_id = 1 -- Default to USD

FROM Practitioners p

LEFT JOIN Prefixes px

ON p.PrefixID = px.PrefixID

LEFT JOIN Suffixes sx

ON p.SuffixID = sx.SuffixID

INNER JOIN PractitionerLocations pl

ON pl.PractitionerID = p.PractitionerID

INNER JOIN PracticeLocations prl

ON prl.LocationID = pl.LocationID

INNER JOIN Practices pr

ON pr.PracticeID = prl.PracticeID

--WHERE p.ChangedOn > '3/18/15' -- Need to determine frequency of transfer

WHERE (REPLACE(pr.TaxIDNumber, '-','') + '_' + LEFT(p.FirstName, 3) + LEFT(p.LastName,3)) is not null

GROUP BY REPLACE(pr.TaxIDNumber, '-','') + '_' + LEFT(p.FirstName, 3) + LEFT(p.LastName,3), p.LastName, p.FirstName, p.MiddleName, px.PrefixName

,sx.SuffixName, p.BirthDate, p.GenderId

I keep getting an error "Cannot insert the value NULL into column "Provider_ID".

Now I realize there is not a provider_ID column in my query. But I thought if I checked 'insert identity values" it would automatically insert the provider_id for me on the insert (it's the pkey). But all I get is the error. What am I missing?

• If Provider_Id is an IDENTITY column and you want to generate new values in it, try un-setting 'Insert Identity values'.

This setting is used where you want to override the identity setting of the column with your own provided values.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Got it.

Mucho thanks Phil.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply