Cannot insert PK higher than 10

• I hope I have a simple issue for you experts.

Process: I'm using Altava Mapforce to do EDI mapping. Within the map I've inserted a SQL database for handling control numbers that I map to the output(target) file. Everytime the map(s) execute it attempts to add '1' to the controlNum and INSERT that as new row with the next incremented controlNum and date stamp. See the attached file edi-controlNum.jpg.

Issue: this is working successfully until it reaches a PK value 10. At that point I get the cannot insert duplicate controlNum errors. Also notice the order of the controlNum column below… the 10 is right after the 1. I'm thinking that is a little clue of my issue, but I'm not sure.

Table Name: InterchangeControl

Column Information:

controlNum – char(9) – Primary Key (Not Null Constraint)

transDate – datetime – (Not Null Constraint)

SELECT '1 ','Sep 2 2009 11:46AM'

SELECT '10 ','Sep 4 2009 10:12AM'

SELECT '2 ','Sep 4 2009 10:09AM'

SELECT '3 ','Sep 4 2009 10:09AM'

SELECT '4 ','Sep 4 2009 10:09AM'

SELECT '5 ','Sep 4 2009 10:09AM'

SELECT '6 ','Sep 4 2009 10:10AM'

SELECT '7 ','Sep 4 2009 10:10AM'

SELECT '8 ','Sep 4 2009 10:10AM'

SELECT '9 ','Sep 4 2009 10:10AM'

Error: Error: Transformation-Error in Database SQL-execution:

Error in: INSERT INTO [dbo].[InterchangeControl] ([controlNum],[transDate]) VALUES ('10','9/4/2009 10:17:31 AM')

Reason: Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_InterchangeControl'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.InterchangeControl'.

I'd appreciate any advice!

• My first question would be why you have a column that's defined as an incrementing number, and the data type is char(10).

Second, what do you get if you select from that table where controlNum = '10'?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• 1. Good question. I made it char(9) because the field I'm mappping it to is a 9 character fixed length field. That was my thinking at the time.

2. I get SELECT '10 ','Sep 4 2009 10:12AM'

..thanks for the help...

• If there's already a row that's got 10 in the PK column, you can't insert another one with the same value. Primary Keys don't allow duplicate values.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Yes I know that. I think a 10 is trying to be inserted again because of the way the table is sorted... Mapforce sees the 9 as the last row.

Why would the 10 not be the last row?

Maybe I need to add an ORDER BY statement before the INSERT happens.

• The sequence of the inserts won't matter. If there's a duplicate value, there's a duplicate value. That's all that matters here.

Property of The Thread

• Can these two SELECT statements be mergerd into one with the ORDER BY happening first?

SELECT [controlNum], [transDate] FROM [EDI_Control].[dbo].[InterchangeControl] WHERE controlNum > 0 ORDER BY [transDate];

SELECT [controlNum], [transDate] FROM [EDI_Control].[dbo].[InterchangeControl] WHERE controlNum = (SELECT MAX(controlNum) FROM [EDI_Control].[dbo].[InterchangeControl]);

Solved = SELECT TOP 1 * FROM [EDI_Control].[dbo].[InterchangeControl] WHERE controlNum > 0 ORDER BY [transDate] DESC;

• Definitely an odd problem, as for why the 10 is showing up after the 1, it looks like since you've got it set to a char, it's sorting it in alphabetical order, ASC.

I will play around a little bit and see if I can recreate the problem and find a solution.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply