Cannot find FIX for BUG

• We are currently running SQL Server 2000 SP3. Sometime in the past, a developer added code to an insert trigger as a work-around to the problem noted in this Knowledgebase article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315967/

I don't think the work-around is needed in our current version because I can't duplicate the problem. I remove the work-around code and everything works fine. For a performance-tuning perspective, I don't like code running in a trigger if it isn't necessary (especially since it is on our largested and most active OLTP table).

But I am not allowed to remove the work-around in production until I can prove there is an official FIX in one of the service packs or version upgrades. Unfortunately, I can't find anything on the internet that documents a FIX for the BUG.

I asked for help locating a fix on Expert Exchange. Their response was basically; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That's not the solution I am looking for!

• well the KB article mentions it might take a long time for a trigger to compile, depending on the trigger.... since it just takes a while, but still works, i would reckon MS didn't prioritize it and try to optimize the issue.

once compiled, it's a non issue,since it's pretty much a one time event. so what is your issue? is it taking minutes/hours to compile? does it finish compiling? does your trigger contain the items they identified that might slow things down?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• In order for me to get permission from my manager to remove the code I have proven to myself is no longer needed, I have to be able to reference a microsoft FIX # for the associated BUG #. The Knowledgebase article that describes the BUG and workaround was last updated on October 3, 2003. I scoured the internet for a FIX #, but can't find one. I'd even be happy to find something that definitively says it is NOT fixed!

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

I had a great experience with the online exam help service. The tutor was very patient and explained things to me in a way that was easy to understand. The service was very efficient and provided me with the help I needed to pass my exams with flying colors!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply