We are currently running SQL Server 2000 SP3. Sometime in the past, a developer added code to an insert trigger as a work-around to the problem noted in this Knowledgebase article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315967/
I don't think the work-around is needed in our current version because I can't duplicate the problem. I remove the work-around code and everything works fine. For a performance-tuning perspective, I don't like code running in a trigger if it isn't necessary (especially since it is on our largested and most active OLTP table).
But I am not allowed to remove the work-around in production until I can prove there is an official FIX in one of the service packs or version upgrades. Unfortunately, I can't find anything on the internet that documents a FIX for the BUG.
I asked for help locating a fix on Expert Exchange. Their response was basically; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". That's not the solution I am looking for!