Cannot create jobstep in maintenance plan

• I've inherited a number of systems, 2005 and 2008 versions.

One of the 2008 and both the 2005 systems won't allow the creation of new maintenance plans or jobs. I get a cannot create jobstep error message. The other 2008 system works fine.

All the systems apparently worked fine at one point because they all have properly working maintenance plans/jobs in them.

Just can't create new ones.

All of them have ssis installed, not clusterd, and running properly.

Any ideas?

• strange error,can you post the error snap shot... what of right do you have on server where u r creating maintance plan.

are you trying completly new Maintance plan or you have editing some exsiting Maintance plan. if yes is this plan belong to same version?

regards

Ramu

• strange error,can you post the error snap shot... what of right do you have on server where u r creating maintance plan.

are you trying completly new Maintance plan or you have editing some exsiting Maintance plan. if yes is this plan belong to same version?

regards

Ramu

• Don't understand what you mean by "post the error snapshot". It's just a pop-up window that says there was an error creating the jobstep.

Is there more detail available somewhere?

I ran into it trying to create a new plan on a new 2008 instance that wasn't being used yet.

I won't touch the working plans on the other instances - they work and those plans are needed for production work.

I don't want to make an annoying problem worse!

So I'm stuck trying new plans.

• i am not clear about what you trying to do?

Are you trying to add new step in existing job created for SSIS package execution

• I'm trying to create a new maintenance plan.

When I press save, it gives me a cannot create jobstep error.

• Took the 2008 cluster offline and rebooted everything. No change. Still get the error.

Took the 3 named instances on the server offline, leaving just the default instance online. No change, still get the same error.

Went in as the sa account instead of my own dba o/s account. No change, still get the same error.

Any more ideas to try?

• This may sound strange, I had a similar kind of issue couple of years back, (SQL 2005) when trying to modify / create Maintenance Plans from Management Studio on my Personal PC.

Finally ended up in Logging Remotely on to the Server and in the SSMS of the Server created the maintenance plans.

Wanted to share, if you have not tried that yet just give a try.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Thanks for the idea, but that's what I've been doing. 🙁

Hmm... Wonder if going to the physical machine and doing it there would make a difference?

Have to try that in the morning.

Any other ideas, anyone?

• Learned how to use sql profiler today to identify which procedures the database was running to create the job.

Figured out which one was blowing up and re-ran that set of procedure calls in mgmt studio as a script.

Got a different error message, which enabled me to track down the source of the problem.

The prior dba had added custom triggers to msdb.dbo.sysjobs that had a logic flaw in them.

Sorry about that, but I'm still learning sql server dba stuff and the environment I inherited.

• I am not sure if your problem was the EXACT same as mine...but I will describe my issue and eventual solution...

I wasn't able to use SSMS on my laptop to modify existing schedules for maintenance plans...i was able to remote the actual server and make the changes...

I found the following post online which fixed the problem for my laptop and allowed me to actually modify the schedules and packages

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/9847f7d1-46c8-44f5-8f14-ca1c699abbfa/">

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqldatabaseengine/thread/9847f7d1-46c8-44f5-8f14-ca1c699abbfa/

To solve this problem, follow this step.

1. Go to RUN and then type cmd.

2. Register the following dll. To Register dll, type the following command in DOS.

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 msxml6.dll

3. Restart your pc.

• No, my problem was that there were custom, flawed triggers added to the msdb database.

But I'll file away your fix in case I run into the problem you had. Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply