Cannot create a merge publication

• I have a server with a number of transactional and merge publications. I am trying to create a new merge publication and am getting the following message:

You cannot create a merge publication in database "XYZ". The database contains one or more merge subscriptions that are anonymous or that use the priority of the publisher when resolving conflicts. To create a merge publication in this database, drop the existing merge subscriptions, create the publication, and then recreate the subscriptions.

Here's the problem. There are no merge subscriptions in this database that I am aware of, and none wanted. I'm thinking there must be a flag in some system table that, for whatever reason, has gotten set making this happen. How can I track this down?

Thanks for any help.

pat

• Look at sp_dropmergepublication and sp_dropmergesubscription in BOL. These should help.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is those stored procedures are to be executed at the publisher. Since there was no known publication or subscription to go delete I still had the problem.

It turned out that a merge publication had existed and when it was deleted not all of the subscription data was deleted at the subscriber. This caused the subscriber to act as if it still had an active subscription, and not allow new merge publications to be created.

I tracked down and deleted the offending records in the sysmergearticles, sysmergesubscriptions, and sysmergepublications tables in the subscriber database and all is well.

Thanks agian.

• Glad you found your solution.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply