Cannot connect to the repository

• When I log in to the computer where AS is installed I can no longer connect to any of the registered AS servers. It gets this error message when trying to connect:

Cannot connect to the repository.

OLAP Server: <server name>

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Data source name too long.

I can however connect to the the registered AS servers from another computer. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Have you tried opening the repository in Access?

Right hand click on the server and select Edit Repository Connection and have a look in there... should tell you the location of the repository MDB (I am assuming you haven't migrated).

That should give you a clue, or may even be incorrect... you can compare it to a machine where you can connect?

A suggestion I would have (which would incidentally more than likely solve your problem) would be to migrate the repository to SQL Server anyway. We did this when our MDB started corrupting regularly and have never looked back!

Mike

• Thanks for the suggestion Mike, but the repository was recently migrated to SQL Server. The thing is, it seems to be working again, but I'm not sure what is causing the failure in the first place?

• Oh no, the worst kind of solution... the one where you've no idea why.

I don't know if it's a clue but that's an ODBC error message and I think the default connection to a SQL repository is OLEDB?

For reference, mine starts:

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=X.....

Mike

• Paul

were you able to find a solution for this problem- "Cannot connect to the repository

" ? I am having exactly the same problem but having no luck with fixing it.

Thanks

• Unfortunately no Shahab! It was working fine, then failed for one day, and is now working again. Since my last post, there hasn't been any further issues.

The other thing to note is that we didn't have any issues before the repository was migrated to SQL Server - even though it worked fine many weeks after the conversion!

The connection string appears not to be the issue, as it was never changed. So something unusual is happening with ASM, the nature of which I am unsure about. Hope that someone out there may have a solution that they can share in this post.

• I am getting this same error with Analysis services.

I have xp sp2 pc connected in same domain to server and both dsn and udl connection strings work fine. Both are SQL2000 sp4 Anal Services and I'm OLAPAdmin on both, Admin on server and have full control of the directories and registry keys.

Anal Services on the server works fine - I have used terminal services to login (same login) successfully and create cubes and have migrated the repository to SQL (msdb database)

We've re-installed on the pc both SQL Server and Analysis services and yet I still get this "Data Source name too long"

Should there be any dsn or udl on server or client pc? I've used this server lots for ASP applications and just use the OLE db string not a file. If I register the server anyway and check the connection strings they work fine and are the minimum OLE DB required.

Or is the error message just a red herring?

We're stumped. Please help

• I am Having the same Issue and cannot seem to find a resolution to this. The only exception is that I cannot connect to it via another server.

I get the following error if i long in wia another server

Errors occured while connecting to

cannot open connection to analysis server

network error

Can anyone help please.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply