cannot connect to named instance thru SSMS on developers desktop

• Hi

I think you should find out what port your named instance of sql server is running on. If you look in the TCP/IP Properties on configuration manager you should see a number next to TCP Dynamic Ports.

I would try and telnet to the machine on the specific port number of the instance you are trying to connect to. telnet <ServerName> <PortNo>

If you can connect successfully you know it is something with specifying connection string or possibly a configuration setting in SQL Server.

If it won't connect it would point to a firewall or port blocking issue.

Thanks

Erich

• Thanks everyone this topic really really helped me a lot.

I installed management studio on my desktop and my other dba's desktop, we successfully connected to named instance,

so by this, i guess that the issue is between developers desktop and named instance.

what might be the cause?

can i suspect the cause is bcoz of different subnets or something like that ?

• Sqlism (8/29/2012)

Thanks everyone this topic really really helped me a lot.

I installed management studio on my desktop and my other dba's desktop, we successfully connected to named instance,

so by this, i guess that the issue is between developers desktop and named instance.

what might be the cause?

can i suspect the cause is bcoz of different subnets or something like that ?

If you're on different subnets you're most likely going to have to open the internal firewalls. That could definately be the problem.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• how come he is able to connect to default instance ? but not the named instance ?

😮

Note: I am not sure that we are in differnet subnets. i will post here once i came to know

• Sqlism (8/29/2012)

how come he is able to connect to default instance ? but not the named instance ?

The network admins could have opened the default port only.

I suspect you're on different subnets or VLANs.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• what is the port number that i have to request to open ?

Thanks a ton!

• You have to set it static before asking for a firewall rule.

Now your port is dynamic, which means that it may change every time the service starts.

Choose a port and, set it in the network properties of SQLServer and then ask your network admins to open that port.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• To Everyone who replied on this topic. Thank you so much.

The total scenario is well explained here.

Thanks again!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply