Cannot connect to (local), localhost, . or 127.0.0.1 in SQL 2008 cluster

• I've got a SQL 2008 2-node active/passive cluster (on Windows Server 2008 R2) that when I am remoted into the server I can connect to the default SQL instance using the server name but I cannot connect to the default instance using (local), localhost, . or 127.0.0.1.

I'm patched up to SQL Server 2008 SP1 CU7 (10.0.2766).

I've got another SQL Server 2008 (non-clustered) that is also at the same version and I have no problems connecting using (local), localhost, . or 127.0.0.1.

I didn't install another instance on the cluster but the Embedded Edition appears to have been installed along side the default instance. No one else has touched this server and I know I didn't intentionally install this.

And except for the Embedded Edition the Network configuration protocols for both servers are exactly the same:

Shared Memory - enabled

Named Pipes - enabled

TCP/IP - enabled

VIA - disabled

I've also got another SQL Server (2005) with named instances on it and I have no problems connecting to that server using (local), localhost, . or 127.0.0.1.

The reason I want this is that I've got a lot of SSIS packages that I just copy from server to server and if I hard-code the server name in them I'll have much more work to do.

TIA

• verygrumpydba (5/4/2010)

I've got a SQL 2008 2-node active/passive cluster (on Windows Server 2008 R2) that when I am remoted into the server I can connect to the default SQL instance using the server name but I cannot connect to the default instance using (local), localhost, . or 127.0.0.1.

I'm patched up to SQL Server 2008 SP1 CU7 (10.0.2766).

I've got another SQL Server 2008 (non-clustered) that is also at the same version and I have no problems connecting using (local), localhost, . or 127.0.0.1.

I didn't install another instance on the cluster but the Embedded Edition appears to have been installed along side the default instance. No one else has touched this server and I know I didn't intentionally install this.

And except for the Embedded Edition the Network configuration protocols for both servers are exactly the same:

Shared Memory - enabled

Named Pipes - enabled

TCP/IP - enabled

VIA - disabled

I've also got another SQL Server (2005) with named instances on it and I have no problems connecting to that server using (local), localhost, . or 127.0.0.1.

The reason I want this is that I've got a lot of SSIS packages that I just copy from server to server and if I hard-code the server name in them I'll have much more work to do.

TIA

You have to connect to the NetBIOS/Virtual Name or virtual IP. SQL is clustered, local host and loopback IP addresses won't work. You can find the names and IP address in cluster administrator

/* ----------------------------- */
    Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

• Using (local) and such is almost always a great idea, it makes it easy to move things server to server without change and I applaud that..

However, in a clustered environment (local) seems to be unclear.. Depending on how you run the packages it may be necessary to override the (local) references with the virtual server name. There just aren't a lot of options.

I looked at a 2005 cluster I use and noticed that the 127.0.0.1 mapping was disabled. You might look at yours and see if it is as well..

CEWII

• Thanks everyone for your quick responses.

I think I may have found a way to accomplish this...

If I create an alias named "(local)" and point it to the SQL Cluster Name or IP address of the cluster, it seems to work.

Using "(local)" makes me a bit uneasy but if I run into problems I can always standardize on something like "CurrentServer".

• Your latter suggestion sounds like a VERY workable plan.

CEWII

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply