Cannot connect to a remote server

• Tracert timing out doesn't surprise me at all. When I didn't have my firewall exceptions set properly, although I had enabled exceptions as identified in MS KB Article 914277 (sqlserver.exe & sqlbrowser.exe), I also could not ping my "hosting" server. It would continually show request timed out, which is what led me down the path of the firewall to being with. Then when I could ping and connect using SSMSE from the XP machine when I disabled the firewall, it took no time to determine what was not identified in the article, File and Printer Sharing needed to be enabled.

• The funny thing is, is that I can ping the server that my db is residing on. I had afriend of mine try connecting from his workplace and he can't get connected either, and he works at a development company. So if he can't even connect and I am not sure if steve will be able to but if he can't connect either then it definetly has to an issue at the hostibg company.

They had asked me a couple days ago to ask my isp if they were blocking port 1433, and they said no the only port in which they block is 25.

I will give the hosting company another day or so before i end up pulling the plug. because like i have said its not supposed to be this difficult. I even have my router wide open, no security settings at all. Its there for people to piggy back which sucks for me.

They were making me believe that it was from my end...I even unistalled sqlexpress 2 times and set it up again with all defualts i changed the settings after words in the config and surface config to enable tcpip and pipes local and remote connections everything is enabled for it to be a go but it doesn't work.

When i was developing at a compnay i was previously at i had no issues connecting to my db's or internal dbs on the intranet. This is getting to the point of beyond ridiculous.

maybe their servers don't like canadian connections..lmao

• The connection worked fine for me with credentials Chris supplied, so I'm guessing there's some firewall or limiting factor either on his network or elsewhere. I sent some screen shots to Chris of what I have for SSMS and asked if he has the Express edition or Developer SSMS.

Chris, one more thought, have you used this laptop elsewhere to connect to SQL Servers? Can you try from another network as a test, even a Starbucks/hotspot?

• Hi Steve,

No i am not using a laptop..its my own pc, with a wireless card on it.

I am using express edition 2005

• The bigger question is - why is it set up this way? The fact that the hosting company has your database server set up "in the open" would be a HUGE red flag. That's like leaving the keys in your car AND putting up the neon sign pointing that out to everyone coming by.

All due respect - there's no way you should be able to connect remotely to the database via SSMS over the internet. That's a HUGE security flaw, and (IMO) whichever hosting company set this up ought go back and review their security setup. Of course - that involves pulling their head out of wherever it's stuck right now.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt brings up a good point, though for something personal, perhaps it's not that big a deal. It would be better to have VPN, and I mentioned to Chris that I can't point him to another server to test because they're all protected and hidden.

Lots of hosting companies allow this, and good or bad, I'm not sure what is wrong with Chris' setup.

Chris, one thing to keep in mind is that Express and the install on your PC has nothing to do with the remote server. You should be able to use Excel or any ODBC/OLEDB compliant client to connect with the credentials. I still think there's some strange networking thing going on with your PC.

• Hi Everyone,

Well I found the issue that I have been having...My Isp is screwing me. At first they said they were only blocking port 25, then i called today and found out that they blocked port 1433 to 1434! Talk about irritating. They claimed they had many attacks and that they will not unblock these ports for me. Now since my hosting company cannot change the ports because then it would affect all the other clients sites, I have to move up to a vps or vpn. Which is more expensive. So i spoke with them about a change of plan...

So thanks for everyones help it was greatly appreciated. My isp sucks.lol

So if i get what i want through my hosting company how do i go about changing the ports for sql server express?

• Can't you change your port number?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Hi Steve,

What do you mean that SQL express only uses a local connection. So if I have an sqlexpress edition on a network I cannot link different microsoft access databases to it?

Secondly, how do I log on to the server with SSMS using the ip and port number?

I am new to sql server so I hope these questions aren't to foolish!!

Dallr

• Thanks Steve for this post. I had similar issues like, I was able to connect remotely to sql server from another server within the domain but not from my laptop. Once I change the default network protocol to TCP/IP from SSMS startup options, I was able to login. Error code was 233.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply