cannot connect sql server remotely

• I just intalled sql server 2005 on a windows 2008 64 bit server.

everything looks OK. It's using windows authentication.

I can connect to the server from management studio locally. But I cannot connect to this sql server from other sql server remotely.

I got an error:

cannot connect to the sql server:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a ... The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL ...

I checked the sql server browser is running, remote connection is enabled. Tcp/IP protocal is enabled.

The service account has access to the sql server.

What could be wrong?

I have no problem to connect to other sql server on our network.

Thanks

• Hi...

Couple of follow up questions:

1. Can you ping the destination SQL server from the Source SQL server?

2. When you say "cannot connect from the SQL Server" do you mean you cannot Remote Desktop connect? Or you cannot connect via SSMS on one SQL server to the other SQL server?

• Did you enable remote connection in the surface area config? Simple step but easy to forget.

• I can ping the sql server.

When I say in previous message I cannot connect to the sql server remotely, I mean from Sql Management studio to connect to the sql server. I can use it to connect it locally. but not remotely.

• I can see from surface area configuration. the locall and remote connections and using tcp/IP only is selected.

• Hmmm... double check the Surface Area Config to ensure remote connections is enabled (I think you already did that).

Try the IP instead of the server name.

Try to fully qualify the server name with the domain.

Make sure port 1433 is open in any firewall between the two servers and that the destination is listening on that default port. (check the SQL Error log for this info... should say Server listening on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1433 or something like that).

• I tried Ip address and also fully qualified name, I got the same error message.

How can I check if the port open or not?

I checked in sql log, I cannot find something like .... listening

• On the destination server... type

netstat -an

in a command prompt. This will show you all IPs and Ports on which your server is listenting (as well as any established connections).

• By typing the command, I can see

there are lines like this:

our ip address:1433 Establlished.

• Have you restarted the server since modifying the Surface Area Config? Not sure if that will help... down to grasping at straws I guess.

Here is a blog I have referenced before when troubleshooting connection issues... perhaps it may help

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2008/04/30/steps-to-troubleshoot-connectivity-issues.aspx

• Thank you very much.

It turns out the firewall is turned on. Now we turn it off, it works now.

I checked that before it said the service was not running.

But for some reason it was enabled.

Thank you very much for your help.

All the information is helful!

• Thank you very much.

It turns out the firewall is turned on. Now we turn it off, it works now.

I checked that before it said the service was not running.

But for some reason it was enabled.

Thank you very much for your help.

All the information is helful!

• It turns out the firewall on the windows server is turned on.

We turn it off, now it works.

I checked earlier for the windows firewall is says the service is not running. But for some reason it's still enabled.

Thank you very much for your help, Nick.

• no problem... glad you finally found the issue.

• Many of the cases I have seen are with the default port either its not enabled or blocked by the firewall. one more counts to my experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply