Cannot attach database after new additional instance installation on sql server

• Locate database files did not get out any .mdf file, even though there is an mdf file in the directory. This happened after I installed a new instance and wanted to attach a database to the instance. The only thing I observed though is that the CU versions of both instances are different. The first instance is 15.0.4033.1 and the new instance is on 15.0.2000.5. Please any idea on why this happend and what can I do to resolve it?

PS: The instances are on a production server. I have an option to install the latest CU but I am not if there wont be problems with the older running instance

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • the user that the instance runs under may not have access to that folder - check permissions

• Thank you very much for the hint. I will give it a try

• What version of SSMS are you using?  There was a bug in one of the older version where you couldn't see the files from the GUI.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi,

I am using SSMS 18

• It worked when I granted file system permission to NT SERVICE\MSSQL$InstanceName

• are you getting any warning or message popup?

SQL Database Recovery Expert 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply